Norfolk broads advice?

Recommended places to take your Cape Cutter 19 with details of anchorages, marinas etc

Norfolk broads advice?

Postby JBunce » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:04 am

Has anyone any experience of cruising the broads at this time of year? We’re taking Fraoch up there tomorrow, but this will be the first time I’ve sailed them. I have been warned that they can get really crowded at this time of year..
JBunce
CC19 Association Member

Re: Norfolk broads advice?

Postby Andrew Scullion » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:43 am

We took Ladybird there for a week when we first got her.
Be warned, the hire motorboats let out to tourists are sometimes handed over to complete idiots with no training. The only time Ladybird has been damaged was when I heard a shout from one of them, "it's not got any brakes". We were moored up at the bank at the time and I had to fend off as the helm stood looking stupid.
There are plenty of places to stop and plenty of low bridges so you get good at lowering the mast. It is more an exploration trip than a sailing trip.
Pay attention to the tides as you get close to the sea, they run fast enough to catch you out, and just as problematic catch other boats out, when you are near Great Yarmouth.
The South Broads are much less crowded and although more confined, we enjoyed them more.
The navigation guide that you can download is useful.
Have a great trip.
Andrew Scullion
CC19 Association Member

Postby JBunce » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:10 pm

Thanks, Andrew. Yep - they’re all here, although no problems so far other than the lack of wind. They all seem a bit mystified by the sight of a cape cutter drifting around in a flat calm and tend to steer clear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JBunce
CC19 Association Member

Postby bellalistair » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:39 pm

You can't beat ghosting along in the Broads, if you are out later on once all the hullabaloos have moored up you sneak up on the wildlife :-)

We've had two great trips to the Broads, I agree with Andrew that the south Broads are quieter but the tides make more impact. If in the north then it is well worth heading under Potter Heigham since the bridge keeps most of the hire boats out these days and it is easy enough to get a Cape cutter through, plenty of space for a day or so on Horsey Mere and Hickling Broad.
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Return to Cruising Areas