Robyn CC No. 20 Now for Sale and back in the UK.

Robyn CC No. 20 Now for Sale and back in the UK.

Postby Pugwash » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi All
posted many months ago that Robyn would be coming up for sale. I have finally managed to retrieve her from her home in the South of France and returned her to sunny Lincolnshire. The winter jobs are well under way with the intention of having her ready for Sale and Sailing by the new owners this summer. I have not advertised her as yet but intend to shortly. If anyone on the forum is interested or knows of someone looking for a CC19 drop me a note I can pass on the sale details in advance of advertising.

She is Blue Hull, Cream Deck and Tan Sails. Orignally a SA build 2002/2003 but with many Honour Marine upgrades in 2011 by the one previous owner to me and since (including New Full spec HM trailer). Winter jobs have included amongst other things, strip, sand, renew Sikaflex and varnish side strakes. Removed grab rails for full strip and varnish. Mast strip and varnish. Full hull and deck machine polish. She is booked in with my local yard for a sand and antifoul treatment in early April when they are allowed back in the yard. At this point I intend going again for a hard racing antifoul that I went for 6 years ago, Robyn living on her trailer not in the water it has worked very well and is still in acceptable condition but a new Red repaint will really show her off. Teak cockpit sole removed sanded and re -oiled. Interior clean and repaint where naked hull has shown signs of age. I have plenty of photos over the years including some WIP ones from this month. The long list of optional items and upgrades are in the other information I have if anyone is interested.

Let me know.
Thanks.
Simon.
Pugwash
Non Association Member

Re: Robyn CC No. 20 Now for Sale and back in the UK.

Postby PaulHardy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:08 am

Dear Simon

I'm looking for a Cape Cutter having recently joined the Association. Is Robyn for sale yet? Do you have any further details? Perhaps email me directly on: paullouisehardy@gmail.com

Regards

Paul
PaulHardy
CC19 Association Member

Postby BryanHickson » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:54 pm

Hello Simon, is Robyn available yet? I have just joined the association, specifically to buy a CC19. Perhaps you could let me know here or via bryan@hicksonfamily.co.uk / 07931 901 942? Many thanks, Bryan.
BryanHickson
CC19 Association Member

Re: Robyn CC NOW SOLD

Postby Pugwash » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:36 am

Hi All
Robyn has now moved to her new owner and home down South.
Our thanks go to everyone in the CC comunity for the help and forum articles over the years.
I am sure the CC boats will be around for a long time to come, we had 10 great years sailing Robyn and wish her new owners at least another 10.

Thanks.
Simon Greiner.
Pugwash
Non Association Member

Postby Justin Greig » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:09 am

And I'm the really fortunate new owner of Robyn. Thanks Simon! (I hope traditionalists willl not be outraged to hear that she now has new name ... Peggy).
She's not in the water yet as I have been sailing an older boat (133 years old!) down to Falmouth and back for the Classics Regatta - but she's going onto her mooring on the Swale this week I hope.
Justin
Justin Greig
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:40 am

Hello Justin

A note to welcome you to the joys of CC ownership. It sounds as if you know all about gaffers, so as a fairly recent arrival myself I’ll probably be seeing more of Peggy’s transom than her bow, but I look forward to sailing with you ere long.

Will you be joining the Kielder rally on July 23?

All the best

Malcolm
Rondo - Sail no 123
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Justin Greig » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:52 am

thanks Malcolm - I'm still very much a student. Most of my sailing has been done on dinghies so I'm still finding all the bits of string quite a puzzle!

I finally got Peggy in the water last week and was pleased to get all the sails bent on and drawing, but the shape of the main was a disgrace. If I can't work out how to set her when I go out again tomorrow I will post a photo here and ask for advice.

I had hoped to get up to Kielder to give me a chance to see people who know what they are doing in action, but my wife felt that after three weeks awol for the Falmouth voyage there was a bit of a deficit in my stock of exeat vouchers!
Justin Greig
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:14 pm

Hi Justin, I see you are in Sevenoaks. Much of my sailing years ago was done on Chipstead lake, now we are based in the Aegean sea. Here is my take on getting a good mainsail shape...
1. Gaff and boom lacings are ok, not too tight and not too loose.
2. The outhaul is quite loose to get a full body in the sail. A gaff needs this.
3. Set the boom fairly high on the lazy jacks to start with. (make the clew higher than the tack to help setting the sail (throat and peak tension))
4. Start with the peak halyard to lift it a little (say to about 30 degrees)
5. Raise the sail with the throat and peak together.
6. Get a reasonable tension on the throat halyard. (not super tight just not loose)
7. Adjust the peak to quite a high angle at first.
8. Release the lazy jacks.
9. Set the kicking strap (optional) but no excessive downward pressure.
10. If reefing, tie the reefing cringle lines only around the sail, not around the boom.
11. Then you can play a little with the peak halyard so there are no creases in the sail. Basically, this will prevent the gaff peak from being too low or too high.
Sail away....

Upwind, increase the peak tension and downwind loosen the peak tension. Always to get a good sail shape.
My error was thinking it is like a modern dinghy rig requiring lots of tension on outhaul/kicker etc.... The sail in normal conditions needs a full body. It sails better to the wind with the main sheet a little loose. Otherwise, you have a decent sail shape but you lose way to windward. Pay off a few degrees, loosen the sheet and experiment on pointing and boat speed balance.

Lastly, I don't mind a bit of luffing on the main, it is normally back wind from the genoa (maybe a lesser or no effect if you sail with a yankee) That debate is for another day but comes down to choice. I hope it works for you.

Other opinions may vary but try them all and see what works for you.

In this video it shows the mainsail with one reef and staysail on a reach (passing Skopelos). I am happy with the shape, lacings etc... https://youtu.be/JJ682b0hSFM

Cheers

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to The Lazarette