Cooking Arrangements

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Cooking Arrangements

Postby PaulHardy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:52 am

Could I have the fleet consensus as to what the best cooking (well boiling a kettle) arrangements are? Stardust had a Dometic Origo One oil/alcohol appliance on gimbals. With regrets the previous owner decided he did not want to part with this and an internet search would suggest that they are now discontinued/out of production. New cooking arrangements are called for. What are other owners doing in the Galley Dept?
PaulHardy
CC19 Association Member

Re: Cooking Arrangements

Postby zimp » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:00 pm

The Origo is for sure the most safe, easy to use, low cost stove one can have o/b a CapeCutter.
They seems to be out of production, but there are clones available!
https://www.compass24.com/comfort/pantr ... 00-2-flame
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Andrew Scullion » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:19 pm

Hello Paul,

You might find getting a consensus difficult on such a subject as it very much depends on the kind of sailing you like to do.

I personally think it is a must to be able to create hot food and drinks at sea, i.e. to be able to hove too in rough weather and produce something hot for the crew.
With this in mind, the options were to create a traditional gimbaled galley area down below and sacrifice a lot of valuable space for something which is actually used only a small amount of time or get creative.

I went with creativity and came up with what turned out to be one of my better ideas and inventions, a pack away galley.

With a combination of; a pressure cooker, camping stove, two woodwork clamps and some stainless steel, I made a fully gimbaled galley that can be used down below or in the cockpit.
It clamps to the centreboard case making it very easy to sit in the windward bunk and cook over the leeward side at sea. Hove too on starboard tack, the cooker is swinging just aft of the sink which is super practical.
Apart from the stove and pressure cooker pan, the rest packs away flat when not in use. It takes about a minute to get out and set up so it doesn't make a cup of tea at sea too much effort.

I will take some pictures and add them to the forum if you are interested.

Andrew
Andrew Scullion
CC19 Association Member

Postby Donald » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:11 am

Yes, please, Re photos of the stove.
Donald
CC19 Association Member

Postby chrisr » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:10 am

Good as Origo may be, even "nearly new" stoves have become hideously expensive.
New, if found now £350ish?

The market for even second hand Origos seems to have fared better than my "gold-plated" pension.

Apparently there have been safety issues with the Chinese knock-offs, as per those at Compass? I have no experience myself, just passing info.

Recent info here on Swallow Yachts Assoc forum thread - Technical, Stoves.
https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=17

I've gone with Camping Gaz picnic stoves, at least until calm/reality returns to the Origo market......
chrisr
Non Association Member

Postby Andrew Scullion » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:37 pm

I have added a photo album to the gallery with pictures of the pack away galley I created.
http://www.capecutter19association.org/ ... p?album=53

I will put a video of the gimbal on the WhatsApp channel as I don't think I can put a video on the gallery.

If anyone would like one of these, I am willing to make replicas, but I would have to work out the cost. However, this is not a cheap set up with quality components, not a cheap stove or pressure cooker.
Let me know if you are interested.

Andrew
Andrew Scullion
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:14 am

[quote="Andrew Scullion"

I will put a video of the gimbal on the WhatsApp channel as I don't think I can put a video on the gallery.

[/quote]

You can put your video on an external site such as YouTube and post a link on this forum. :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat