Steering Handle

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

Steering Handle

Postby Timbre 19 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:20 am

Hello,
Has anyone CC19 owners thinking that the engine Steering Handle takes a lot of space in the cockpit?
Should you ever need to control one can well turn the motor without a handle, right?
And security wire for the stop-switch, is that really necessary? Is well meant for inflatables and the like.
In a CC19 it works more like an inboard engine I think.

If you choose such a solution you need a stop switch and a compact wire control.
No expensive things, and handle saves course. Testing this on a used 5 hp.

Wish experiences this as I have never been to sea with just a CC19.
Surely something I have not thought of.

Jörgen
#Building Timbre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Timbre 19
CC19 Association Member

Re: Steering Handle

Postby seasickwhale » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:56 pm

Hello Jörgen,

as it seems to be a good idea at first sight to do without the outboard tiller arm sticking out into the cockpit, I could not be without it.

Especially when going astern and manouvering in close quarters, I always use both the tillers of outbaord and boat.

With just the boat's tiller there is just not enough grip to come round when starting astern from stop. Only with a movement on will you get better grip and steerage from the rudder. So using the engines tiller greatly improves manouverability in astern.
Happy Sailing

Stephan Radke
CC52 "Herr Nilsson"
seasickwhale
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:21 am

I agree with Stefan. I always turn the engine when going astern.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Timbre 19 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:39 am

Hello and thanks for your answers and experiences.
I almost thought that for some reason was, that I have not seen the solution earlier. But to turn the motor 180 degrees when reversing, is it going?
Without the propeller will take in, I mean. But 90 degrees, like a "bow thruster" must surely go well?

Thinking test without tiller on a cheap, second-hand four-stroke engine (£ 135) I have come across. And the tiller, I can always put it back.
We'll see, after some testing, it will probably be a new Japanese engine that I did not experiment with ...
But which one? Does anyone know if Honda has a new 5 hp at once? Some sellers say so.

Regards Jörgen
Timbre 19
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:50 pm

Hello gentlemen

I do like the idea of not having the motor handle taking up cockpit space, however I have to agree with Charles and Stephan, it is essential when reversing, particularly at low speed.
I have a Honda BF5 which can rotate only approx. 45 degrees either side of centre and not turn through 360 degrees like some small outboards, but that is not a problem.

Most of the time when I am sailing I have the outboard handle raised so that the tiller just clears it. Removing it altogether would not give any great benefit.

When reversing I move the tiller and motor in unison, this gives much better steering accuracy and is essential when trying to enter tight spaces.

What would be useful would be to have the tiller and motor linked so that they moved together and therefore only required one hand to use. Probably more trouble that it is worth though. :(
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis Williams » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:34 pm

It is interesting that you folks up North can actually steer the outboard. Of course Tiptoe is homebuilt plywood built to the original plans and the hull plug effectively makes the outboard a sail drive, so may be different.
You now have me wondering which is the most beneficial. Steering or efficiency? Reverse is definitely a hit and miss affair. Tremendous amount of prop walk in forward also which can be handy but also means a tiller lock or autopilot is required...more things to do!
Dennis Williams
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:18 pm

So you keep dry feet, Dennis. 8))

However, us "Northerners" retain the party trick of being able to reverse the CC into very tight spots. I have on a number of occasions been able to secure a berth at a "full" marina by this trick ;)
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Return to Everything about Engines