What outboard to buy

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

What outboard to buy

Postby x-man12345 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:27 pm

Hello Guys, need some advice on replacing the outboard on Ladybird. I have read through posts on the subject but they are older and models have changed.
I have asked several suppliers for a short shaft sail drive outboard (5 or 6HP),
DC charging coil, high thrust prop. etc.
Tohatsu don't make short shafts with sail drive anymore, will need a charging kit plus prop upgrade (£1440 for 6 HP).
Mariner, same as above (waiting on hard quote).
Honda make 5HP with a 3 amp charging circuit (£1150) but not sure about propeller. But I have heard some bad reports about Honda outboards. Also I read some where that they do not fit the CC very well?
Would like a reliable outboard that is quiet and my wife can start.
Have thought about the Mariner (HM recommended) and fitting a high thrust prop. Will then have to look at a solar panel system to charge the battery.
I would welcome any advice that you have.
Thanks
Ian
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:25 am

x-man12345 wrote:Honda make 5HP with a 3 amp charging circuit (£1150) but not sure about propeller. But I have heard some bad reports about Honda outboards. Also I read some where that they do not fit the CC very well?
Would like a reliable outboard that is quiet and my wife can start.

Thanks
Ian

Hello Ian

I have had a Honda 5 on Mary Ann from new, and it is now coming to the end of its fourth season.

It is the most reliable motor I have ever owned (I have had three previous motors). It starts second pull from cold every time, with all subsequent starts in the same day being first pull.

Its fits the CC19 perfectly, it is the Honda 6 which does not fit, the anti-cavitation plate being too large to (easily) pass through the hole in the hull.

There is a choice of two props and the lower pitch one (which suits the CC19) is fitted as standard (200mm Dia x 170 mm pitch).

The only negative comment I will make is about the reverse performance. The motor is retricted to half thottle when in reverse, but you get used to this.

The motor pushes the CC19 along at 4 kts on half throttle and 5.5 kts at full throttle in calm conditions.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:29 pm

I'll second Dennis' comments. I have a similar engine- I bought it second hand from a Honda dealer- it's about 4 years old; fits the CC just fine and performs well. I didn't bother with the charging coil, as I do not want to run the engine for any longer than necessary. I fitted a higher capacity battery instead; nothing on my boat draws much current
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby x-man12345 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:14 am

Hello guys, thanks for the replies.
I got the hard quote back for the Mariner from Falmouth Yacht Brokers yesterday. £1200 for a 6HP Short Shaft sail drive with dual tank.
Mariner don't make this as standard. They are converting a 4HP short shaft (integral tank), to a 6 HP. Apparently the 4, 5 and 6 are the same engine, they are changing the carb. Fitting a sail drive kit covers the charging circuit and high thrust prop.
We keep Ladybird on a pontoon there so it won't have far to go for servicing/storage.
Thanks again
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:27 am

Hello Ian

I am pleased that you have managed to get what you wanted.

High thrust props are great when you are motoring, but they do become high drag props when you are sailing.;)

Did you know that a freewheeling prop. creates more drag than a (stalled) stationary one?
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Dennis wrote:Did you know that a freewheeling prop. creates more drag than a (stalled) stationary one?

There are different views on this subject...

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=135653
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:07 pm

zimp wrote:There are different views on this subject...

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=135653

Thanks Bert

That is a super link.

Actually I have tried to see if there is any difference in speed between between locked & spinning on Mary Ann, results are inconclusive:(.

I would bet though that a big prop is going to cause more drag than a small prop. Why can't you get folding props for outboards?
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Lock or spin

Postby GRIMSHAW » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:15 pm

In the July edition of Yachting Monthly they carried out scientific tests to resolve the question of locking or spinning. The results were conclusive showing a drag of 12kg at 5knots for the locked prop compared with 5kg for the spinner. The locked prop was only marginally better than dragging a 10inch diameter bucket. Their conclusion : Let it spin.
GRIMSHAW
CC19 Association Member

Postby x-man12345 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Ok, first engine trials today with the new Mariner.
Big smiles all around.
Very easy to start.
Way more thrust from a standing start. So better astern manoeuvring.
Boat up to a nice cruising speed quickly.
Quieter, that's a big improvement
Engine takes up less space.
Happy days.
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 pm

My Honda 5.? was a pig to start and noisier than a pig....don't.

My current outboard is a twenty year old Yamaha 2-stroke. Sounds like a singer sewing machine.

The sooner environmentally friendly 2-strokes hit the domestic market, the better!

Goodbye sailors.
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Everything about Engines