New member and CC85 'Minnie' returns to Suffolk

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

New member and CC85 'Minnie' returns to Suffolk

Postby Nick Phillips » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi everyone.
I am very pleased to have just bought Minnie, CC19 #85. After two years away in Chichester Harbour (as ‘Thistle’) Minnie will be based again on the Orwell in Suffolk again.

The decision to look for a Cape Cutter 19 was a drawn out process. The design eventually found its way onto a shortlist of two quite different boats - Cape Cutter and Golant Gaffer. Understanding the Cape Cutter was greatly simplified by spending many hours absorbing the Association Website and Forum content, various boat blogs and Youtube videos. What a fantastic resource for current and future owners. I love the Golant Gaffer but it has a lot more wood to look after, a draft fixed at nearly 3’ and another half tonne to tow. I was leaning towards the Cape Cutter based on draft. The decision was cemented watching CC61 ‘Capers’ sail into the Blackwater this Summer. Capers just looked so 'right’ and comfortable after beating North on a day when we, in a larger boat, had decided not to sail due to the conditions.

Since Minnie became mine I have been immersed in the Forum and blogs again. So many of my questions are well covered and so many ideas!

I have attached a photo of Minnie as she was when I bought her.
2021 09 For Sale 7 copy.jpg

Winter activity is going to include: restoring oxidised topsides ; refresh of rigging including; new headsails with a return to hanks on the staysail; and renewing canvas pockets and various tweaks below. I have a long list of potential modifications, gleaned from the forum and my own thoughts, but many will wait until we have covered more sea-miles together. And until I have tested some of them in this Forum. Raising the gooseneck is one of the first I want to evaluate - Minnie’s mast bears scars from an earlier set of mast bands no longer to be found.

Looking forward to my sailing next year and hopefully to meeting up other Cape Cutters and their owners.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Nick
#85 Minnie, Suffolk
Nick Phillips
CC19 Association Member

Re: New member and CC85 'Minnie' returns to Suffolk

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:44 am

Hello Nick.

Welcome to Cape Cutter ownership and to the Association.

You have a keen eye. The Golant Gaffer is another handsome gaffer - we were able to get close to one during the CC19 Association rally this year when 17 Cape Cutters joined the Solent Old Gaffers for a weekend in Yarmouth, IoW. But for all the reasons you mention, I’m sure you made the right decision in buying Minnie.

As you say, the Forum is a valuable fund of know-how and ideas for our boats. I have not had to make too many mods to Rondo (Sail no 123) since I bought her in 2016, but I strongly recommend the improvement of the lazy jacks if Minnie does not already have this. Changing the starboard side double clutch (peak and throat halyards) for a triple and using the extra clutch for a single-line extension of the lazyjacks.

Whereabouts on the Orwell will you be based? I had a very enjoyable few days there 3 years ago - launching at Woolverstone (not a user friendly slip for a single hander though). I recall quite vigorous conditions at the confluence of Orwell and Stour.

I imagine you have made contact with other Suffolk based Cape Cutter owners. There’s a list somewhere on the website and Dennis knows where all of them are based.

Have you thought about coming on the rally next May/June in Scotland? 11 boats signed up so far- it will be a great way to meet other members and to see how they seek to get the best out of their boats. And the waters we will be sailing in are magnificent.

I look forward to meeting you in due course, and meantime, happy fettling!

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Re: New member and CC85 'Minnie' returns to Suffolk

Postby Nick Phillips » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:15 am

Malcolm

Many thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. Strangely Minnie had the lazy jacks mod but it was 'undone by the previous owner. It is going to be put back - the starboard deck block and clutches are already there. She has had a lot of mods in her time, many removed, so tidying up holes and fittings is part of my winter fettling.

Minnie will be based at Orwell Yacht Club in Ipswich - close to the Orwell Bridge on the A14. A couple of hours from the sea but a great club and sheltered mooring.

I am looking forward to meeting you and other Cape Cutter owners at some point. With apologies, Minnie will not be able to join what looks like it will be fantastic cruise in Scotland next year. I am already committed to crewing on another boat at the same time as the Rally. Coincidentally in similar waters - we are starting near Oban, cruising around before taking part in a rally on Luing over the first weekend in June. I wish us all great weather and maybe we will bump into each other. The boat is the prototype Fairey Atalanta https://atalantaowners.org/boat-sn/a001/, made in 1956.
Cheers
Nick
#85 Minnie, Suffolk
Nick Phillips
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat