Various Qs from a potential CC19 owner

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Various Qs from a potential CC19 owner

Postby Max Rankin » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Hi All - I'm looking for a small shallow draft boat to mostly daysail and race for fun in the Fal estuary (Cornwall, UK), with a cabin to escape the rain, house a chemloo and maybe have an occasional minimal overnight for 1 or 2 people. Obvious contenders are the CC19, Shrimper19, and BayRaider 20. I'm coming from a Hawk 20, so a decent turn of speed would be great (thumbs down Shrimper, although it's otherwise a nice boat). I'd be very glad of a few answers to some questions about the CC19...

* Can the outboard turn in the well to help steer in tight spaces in a CC19?

* I read there is a lifting device available for CC19 to get the outboard leg out of the water when not in use - is that a standard fitting?

* I'm 6'0" with short legs, so sit the same height as a normal shape human of 6'2". Will I be able to sit upright in the CC19 cabin?

* Can you sit as far forward as you need to be for efficient beating in the CC19 cockpit?

* Is the CC19 cockpit comfortable for 4 adults?

* Does CC19 slam in big chop?

* I read that carbon spars are available for CC19 - are these available from Honour Marine?

* Racing Shrimpers have a flyaway jib pole with uphaul and downhaul - are these available for CC19?

* Looks to me like CC19 has no 'water view' windows. Is it possible to have small fixed hull or cabin side port lights fitted to CC19 (like a Shrimper) so you can see what's about to run into you when you're below?

* The boat would live 6/7 months on a swinging mooring - are CC19 bow fittings strong enough for that as standard?

* Is an eficient mainsheet arrangement standard, or available, for CC19 - e.g some Shrimpers have a track and car?

* 8 weeks on a mooring in wet weather with no use - is an electric bilge pump plus battery, charging, etc really neccessary, or not?

Thanks, Max
Max Rankin

Re: Various Qs from a potential CC19 owner

Postby Dennis » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:43 pm

Max Rankin wrote:* Can the outboard turn in the well to help steer in tight spaces in a CC19?

Thanks, Max

Hello Max

That is quite a first post. :eek:

12 questions, too many to answer in one post, I will tackle them one at a time, as time permits. No doubt others will also contribute.

The answer to your first question is a definite YES. :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:32 am

Max Rankin wrote:
* The boat would live 6/7 months on a swinging mooring - are CC19 bow fittings strong enough for that as standard?

Thanks, Max

Hello Max

There have been a couple of threads on this subject recently:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=738
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=750

I hope this helps
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Richard Rickard » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:52 pm

Max,
I have just come to this after replying to your other query about Falmouth racing. I presume that you are local to the Falmouth area? I live just outside Mylor and keep my CC19 down at the yacht harbour on a 6-month swinging mooring. You are very welcome to give me a ring (01326 374442) to discuss your queries and to come out to the boat for a good look and a trial sail if you like. Just get a move on as I am away from Friday 16 to Sun 25 Sep, and the boat will need to come out of the water in the last week of Sep. She spends the winter on her trailer behind our cottage. I could do with some company in keeping those Shrimpers in their place!
All the best,
Richard
Richard Rickard
Non Association Member

Postby Max Rankin » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks all - sorry for throwing all the questions in a once, but it occured to me that others might be wondering about these things, that owners might have good answers to different questions, and also that it's probably no worse than saying 'thanks for answering that question - now here's another one'.

Mooring tackle - unfortunately I can't find the photo album referred to in the threads Dennis kindly links to, but I gather the idea is to use a bridle connected to the bobstay fitting (perhaps with a rubber snubber) plus a backup line over the deck to the samson post.

Richard - thanks for that, I'll send you a message or email.

Max
Max Rankin

Postby Dennis » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:28 am

Max Rankin wrote:Mooring tackle - unfortunately I can't find the photo album referred to in the threads Dennis kindly links to,

Max

Hello Max

1. Click on blue rectangle at top right of this page marked "Click here for Picture Gallery".
2. Then click on gallery "Mary Ann modifications"
3. Jump to page 2 (bottom right of page)

You should find the photos I was referring to.
N.B. as a "Non Association Member" you can only view a reduced size version.

However, here are a couple more pics showing what I do:

P8171503 reduced.jpg

P8171504 reduced.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Max Rankin » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks Dennis - the 'click here for picture gallery' link is so big I didn't see it - Duh!

I imagine your swinging mooring setup avoids putting sideways twisting loads on the waterline bobstay fitting when the boat sheers about in high winds - I think I saw a mention of a waterline bobstay fitting snapping after a period of that. That setup looks good.
Max Rankin

Postby zimp » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi Max,
I give only a reaction on some your questions

* Can the outboard turn in the well to help steer in tight spaces in a CC19? Depends on the size of your engine. I can steer somewhat with my 6HP Yamaha, I couldn't with a 8HP Honda

* I'm 6'0" with short legs, so sit the same height as a normal shape human of 6'2". Will I be able to sit upright in the CC19 cabin? I'm 6'4" and I can sit in the cabin

* Can you sit as far forward as you need to be for efficient beating in the CC19 cockpit? I use a tiller extension

* Is the CC19 cockpit comfortable for 4 adults? No it isn't. I think three adults is max.

* Does CC19 slam in big chop? Seldomly

* Looks to me like CC19 has no 'water view' windows. Is it possible to have small fixed hull or cabin side port lights fitted to CC19 (like a Shrimper) so you can see what's about to run into you when you're below? See picture gallery Zimp mods
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Max Rankin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:29 pm

Thanks for all that info Zimp. I like your porthole modification, and it looks good. Also the midships cleat, which I find the most useful ones on a boat, especially when sailing on my own.
Max Rankin

Return to General Chat