"Articles" Reinstatement

This is the place to post suggestions or comments about the forum or the website. Also post here if you've got a problem with the forum, but please read the FAQs first.

"Articles" Reinstatement

Postby David Peck » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:00 pm

Dennis wrote: "I have already suggested to Russell that there should be a direct link the David's article from the association Wordpress site.

Perhaps Charles you could make that one of your first tasks when you assume responsibility for that site.
Cheers Dennis"

Dennis, Charles,

In my opinion I believe it was a mistake to have removed the “Articles” section from our website and its reinstatement should be considered.

Not everybody who visits our website (including members) wants to sign up to Facebook, Twitter, Flicker etc. or to trawl through acres of individual blogs in order to see what modifications have been made to their boats or to read about their cruises or logs etc. With the previous Articles section it was possible to view these accounts all in one place without having to sign in or sign up to a social media. Dennis, what happened to your Frisian Cruise?

The big disadvantage of our Forum is that if you refer to a picture in the Albums to clarify a point only a handful of members are ever going to see it and outsiders just pass on and lose interest. One of the objects of our association is surely, to promote the merits of the Cape Cutter 19 to a wider world and not try and be a tiny insular body!

The article in question on the hatch modification has been lost to all new members buying older CC19’s and if I started a blog and put it in, as Simon Head has kindly done, it’s still not likely to be viewed/picked up by many as recent evidence has shown. It seems a pity as I would have liked to finish the inboard engine installation article which, from private response I received was of interest to a lot of people interested in CC19’s. As it turns out at present I’m pleased I didn’t waste my time.

I have to confess I’m probably the last person on the planet still refusing to sign up to Facebook, despite continuous prompting from them over many years like “you may know David Cameron, Francois Hollande, The Queen, Angela Merkel etc.” (How do they correlate all our inter email correspondence?). :rolleyes: Also as I’m not a blogger either, it’s unlikely other mods like my carbon fibre mast, permanent water tank installation with deck filler, plumbed sink unit, proposed gas turbine hybrid engine installation etc. will ever see the light of day on this website!

Has our website become a little too “Social Media” orientated?

If reinstatement is considered, could it please be accessed from the main website top tool bar together with the Forum access which seems to be lost in its present location half way down the page?

PS Am I correct in assuming that Dennis you are taking over the running of the Forum and Charles the running of the WordPress website?

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:32 pm

David Peck wrote:
I have to confess I’m probably the last person on the planet still refusing to sign up to Facebook,

You're certainly not alone, David. I too have no desire whatsoever to become embroiled in Farcebook, Tw*tter or the like. I have an ancient mobile phone (occasionally switched on) that doesn't take pictures and a van that doesn't decide when to switch on the windscreen wipers or headlamps for me or park itself. I cannot see any virtue in having 1000s of electronic 'friends' - imagine the bill for stamps at Christmas :confused:
I did see your excellent article on the hatch mod, however, and intend to pursue it as soon as I can get Falcon from under her wraps. Whilst it's unlikely that I would ever fit an inboard diesel or run to the expense of a CF mast I would very much enjoy reading about it.

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:50 pm

The articles weren't removed from the website. The website was rebuilt in Wordpress, and I hadn't got as far as putting them back on before Simon took the old website down, along with the content. He retained it and has it on his own site.

There has never been a requirement to for anyone to join Facebook or Twitter. These are additional tools to attract members, and to spread the word about the CC19. Here are some facts about Social Media which might go some way to explaining why organisations either adopt them, or die. We were pretty much dead anyway, so I had to try something:-

http://www.fastcompany.com/3021749/work-smart/10-surprising-social-media-statistics-that-will-make-you-rethink-your-social-stra#!

Like them or loath them, these social media platforms are the future, and they are where the next generations of owners will come from. Believe it or not, there are still groups out there using Yahoo Groups.

Regardless, as you know, I'm moving on anyway. If the CA decides to adopt the King Canute position and hold back this tide I won't be around to witness the drowning.

There is a place for all media, and the CA needs to be available to all however they search for us.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I'll also add that a number of new members and certainly new owners of CC19's have found the blogs to be of great interest. If anything, Bob hasn't been as busy building and refurbishing CC19's for many years. The direction I went in may not have suited everyone, but it certainly did for many others.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby SimonW » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:23 pm

I think its each to their own, but the blogs and the forum comments were very helpful in helping me make my decisions in the buying and specifying process. I would however say that Russells enthusiasm and wave of media were encouraging and just because we sail gaffers it doesn't mean we can't move with the times. I am also aware that we shouldn't try to dictate what class members want to use as it needs to be an open environment.

I personally think that the online activity spurred on by Russell, Charles and the Forum is a huge factor in Bob's current order level, which is healthier than it has been for a while and is a good thing for all owners.
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby SimonW » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:38 pm

...follow on post.

As above I think people should be allowed to post how they like and on whatever medium. I do however think they need to be linked together i.e so the Forum is a single click on the top menu of the Class Association website and perhaps there is a sticky on the forum that takes you back to the website. The Facebook site has certain benefits for those who use Facebook - allowing quick posting of photos and quicklinks, but it does sort of duplicate the class site and I know many people fear what Facebook might be doing with their data.

If starting from scratch we might try and concentrate activity on the class association website with quick links to the forum and any blogs that people wish to write. If pictures and comments were easy to publish then Facebook wouldn't need to remain active. Twitter actually needs no input, but is a great way of reminding people to come to the site and can be fully automated to 'tweet' whenever the site is updated so no hassle and you wouldn't be missing anything if you didn't use it.
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:54 pm

SimonW wrote:...follow on post.

If pictures and comments were easy to publish then Facebook wouldn't need to remain active.

Do you mean easy to publish on the Association (Wordpress) website?
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Facebook

Postby Chris Wicks » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:20 am

Yesterday I was given editor rights to our Facebook page (along with Dennis and Charles)... The page was started by Russell and he wanted to hand it over.

Many large organisations, public and private sector have Facebook pages. You can follow all main newspapers, BBC, govt. departments on Facebook.

I do not seek to promote it to anyone that does not want to use it, but it is a modern communication platform that is incredibly popular. I manage 2 other pages a walking and conservation group http://www.facebook.com/southpelion . We have 200 paid up members but over 700 followers. It works incredibly well and we attract people worldwide through the page.

You don't need to sign up to FB to read community or business pages...

The interest in our FB page was quite low but yesterday by sending a few invitations to people I know from many different countries who have sailed with us on Kaliope the page gained many followers. All of this helps spread the word and promotes the boat.

I'm in touch with Dudley Dix through FB, he follows the CC19 page and has happily answered questions I have sent him through this medium. Very useful.

Cheers

Chris
Cheers

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Ru88ell » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:17 am

Dudley also saw the picture of the two CC19's beached at East Head on the FB page. Through that medium he asked if he could have permission to use it in his 2014 calendar.

Giving up FB would be one of the most retrograde steps the CA could ever make IMHO.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:24 am

Facebook again!

I just found out on Facebook that the latest edition of Sailing Today is out, and carries a feature on a Cape Cutter 19.

Love it or loath it, if you tune your account to follow what you want to follow, it always seems to come up trumps. Twitter likewise.

Now I'm boating in Falmouth I have 'tuned' my social media accounts into local marine businesses and media. I'm 250 miles away, but feel like a local!
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Forum and Website Comments