New Wordpress Site

This is the place to post suggestions or comments about the forum or the website. Also post here if you've got a problem with the forum, but please read the FAQs first.

New Wordpress Site

Postby Simon Head » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi Everyone

The bones of the site are here:

http://www.capecutter19association.org

This has taken me a couple of hours to sort out (I have never used Wordpress before!) Fonts are wrong but the ship is past the keel stage!

I am going to incorperate some funky image handling stuff- this will be sorted next week.

The site will be ported to capecutter19.org when finished.

As it goes through its development phase I would like any feedback on content.

I have sussed how to migrate the forum- this will be incorporated shortly (please do not post into it at this stage!)

The site will have a nice clean look when finished- I am using a default template with few controls. This will be improved shortly.

I am also going to get a designer at work to rejig the Association logo (will cost me a bag of chips on Friday!)

So keep looking!

Kind Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

A message from Russell.

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:46 am

I am happy to pass this on, on behalf or Russell. In my view and I believe other members a very positive statement of support for the delevopment of our association. Can Russell have his membership rights reinstated please as we have now deleted the debate of the previous weeks....

Russell's message ........

Hi Simon

I just wanted to say how delighted I am that you're going to update the site with Wordpress. You'll find it really easy to craft something nice, and spectacularly easy to work with images, video, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

I've had any number of members contact me via e-mail and social media to see if I can make peace with you. They say that the association needs not one or the other, but both, to give it the best chance of making progress - it shouldn't be one man's job. I guess we've been equally frustrated by each other. I know what it's like to head an organisation, my cycling group is pretty much full time just now as we're running a charity ride on Sunday for Diabetes and have 280 riders to cater for. We need all the help we can get, and finding help isn't easy, as we both know.

If you're happy to discuss common ground I do feel that I can be an asset to the class. Many of the members clearly think so. So please consider sharing the work. We've both said things which have been misinterpreted in the heat of the moment and upset the other, but I'm prepared to forget all that and work for the benefit of the class and the members.

Perhaps it could be possible to draw up a roadmap of where we want to go with the members input, and then be sure to communicate it before we start, and be measureable against it. We are alike in some ways. We both prefer white boats for a start!

Rgds
Russell
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:53 am

Seconded....
Toby
CC19 Association Member

Postby James Badcock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:01 am

I agree with this approach. Russell clearly has significant experience which would be useful to the association going forward, and his reports on his excursions make entertaining/ informative reading and it would be a loss not to have access to these. I personally think that some of his enthusiasm is what is needed to generate interesting discussion amongst the membership.

I fully appreciate that there has been a great deal of frustration in the past and I sympathise with Simon for being on the receiving end of this, but I would favour putting that behind us and using the resources that are available to the benefit of the association.

On another matter- is anyone taking their boat to Weymouth to watch the Olympics? I am going to be there 2/3/4 Aug, and I believe that there are still spaces.
James Badcock
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi Everyone

Quite honest I would have no problems sharing the Wordpress site work with Russell, as well as to make him an administrator of the Forum (I do not know honestly what happened first time round)

I am just sorting out the migration of the forum to the wordpress site. This is a bit complex but I have sussed out a way to do it.

To me it can be run jointly- We need more administrators anyway.

It is true and I totally agree that we both wish the Cape Cutter 19 Association to grow.

If Russel PMs me well get it sorted (I have sorted his account out). I am afraid I am not good at social media- I prefer to talk if he wants to give me a ring

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Hello all

What have I missed? :eek:

I go away sailing (Friesland), for a couple of weeks and when I return the Association/Forum seems to have been turned on its head and then back again! :confused:

As I see it, we owe a debt of gratitude to Simon for getting this show off the ground in the first place, however, Russell seems to have abundant enthusiasm, ideas and (IT) skills which most of us could only dream of.

There must be a middle path here which enables us to get the best of all worlds.

Let us not forget, we are all in this for fun (sailing variety). :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Don't worry Dennis. Simon and me have had a 'love in' and all is well.

For now. ;)

:D
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Great stuff guys, onwards and upwards.....;)
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Dennis » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:34 am

Hello Simon & Russell

I have produced an account of our recent Friesland trip which you may want to place in the "Cruising Logs" section of the website. It is a 17 page PDF file.

What do I do? :confused:
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Dennis wrote:Hello Simon & Russell

I have produced an account of our recent Friesland trip which you may want to place in the "Cruising Logs" section of the website. It is a 17 page PDF file.

What do I do? :confused:

Can we hold it back until the new site is ready to launch? Could we have it in Word please, with images?
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Forum and Website Comments