Forum update newsletter.

This is the place to post suggestions or comments about the forum or the website. Also post here if you've got a problem with the forum, but please read the FAQs first.

Forum update newsletter.

Postby Ru88ell » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm registered on the Shrimper Forum, and from time to time receive an e-mail telling me what's being discussed on the forum, etc. The message contains links to the topic so brings people back in.

I do the same with the cycling group forum that I manage. We always get a big spike in forum visits from members who may not have visited otherwise.

Only Simon will know how many visitors the forum receives, but if we are to hold events it would make sense to me to tell members about them and not rely on them remembering to visit the forum just in case. I don't feel it's worth the time arranging an event at the moment as so few people would know about it.

As a regular visitor to the forum I could almost quote a list of about 5 people who use it regularly; I rarely see any others. If we are to hold events and attract other CC19's to attend I think we should find ways to get the message out.

What do people think? Or isn't this a class for people interested in travelling to events?
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Hello Russell

Good idea!

Having been a member of this forum since its beginning, I have observed a trend.

Members tend to be "active" for a period after they aquire their CC19. Once they have their boat "sorted" the forum activity dies away. I presume they would rather be sailing than playing with a computer.

I am a member of the Trail Sail Association which operates as a Google group, I receive e-mails of all the activity (virtually daily).

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:35 am

I have to be honest, Dennis, I'd expected a lot more activity; events; weekends; cruises; logs; reports, etc. I don't think anything new, in that respect, has appeared on the website in nearly a year.

I've had a look at the TSA, but the shockingly bad website has put me off it. I get most out of the YBW forum, and what I do myself. I guess I'll just have to accept that this class is pretty dormant and carry on alone. I'd love to do Shrimper Week though. :D
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:30 am

Hello Russell

The Shrimper has one advantage over the CC16 - sheer weight of numbers, over a 1000 of them out there, much easier to have viable meets etc.

However the CC19 wins on almost every other point!

With regard to the TSA, I think the website is no longer used, all the activity is via Google groups. They are a good bunch with regular cruises, they end the season each year with a cruise on Windermere in October, I can recommend it.

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:33 pm

I know what you mean, but that shouldn't stop us trying to hold events. I was instrumental in growing the Laser2000 class between 2001 and 2006. At the time there was 'no appetite for non racing family meets', so I organised one and 15 families turned up to Bala. I can see that there have already been a number of meets proposed which came to nothing though.

It's likely that I'll join the OGA Solent region. I get one very will with Steve (Shrimper 19) and look forward to sailing on the south coast next year. The number of marinas makes it attractive to Aquaphobia. On that basis I think about an event from Buckler's Hard for next year. There is plenty of safe sailing and loads of overnight options. We can always do Zeeland the year after. ;)
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Simon

Did you ever investigate the possibility of sending out a newsletter to the forum members? Over 100 members but only 20 visitors - we need a way of getting a message to the other 80.

I'm not suggesting you write it, just see which function it is in vBulletin Admin. It only takes seconds with Simple Machines Forum.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

The Associations Future

Postby David Hudson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:36 pm

As Russell infers we're pretty thin on the ground.

Here are a few thoughts.

Why not open our photo album pages to the public. let people see what we do and where we go. This is not the masons.

I am an old windsurfer (teak boom et al). The "News"; North East Windsurfers web site; has a latest posts page which shows (guess what), latest posts. This shows posts on threads that might be lost in one of the topic heads by a later post under another thread.

The Windsurfer Class GB members used to support the importer at the London Boat Show. It spreads the word about Class activity and adds another string to the manufacturer's marketing efforts. Perhaps this would be a newsletter opportunity.

Remember few people could be *rsed to have an "AGM" at the Boat Show.

My regret is I won't be involved but I will give my buyer membership to the Association.

More Russells please! (sorry Russsssselllllll)
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:20 am

I'm with David on this one: "Why not open our photo album pages to the public."

An easy (direct) link to the Forum "Pictures & Albums" from the Association Home Page would help us meet a wider audience.

How about three choices when starting a new album:
1. Public (Including the Association Home Page)
2. Forum members only
3. Private

This would give individuals control over where their pics are shown!

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Here's a sample of what you get from the Shrimper forum by e-mail. It pulls you in. I would have thought that a twice monthly summer version and a monthly winter version from our forum should suffice, and let our full membership know what the 20 of us are talking about.

Shrimpertalk forum Weekly Newsletter

Hi XXXXXXXX

What's new on shrimpertalk forum? Below are some highlights of the week.
Please drop in to see what's new.

Forum Address: http://shrimpertalk.takeforum.com
Username: XXXXXXXX

Most Popular Topics
Tiller in Technical Problems - 1 new replies
I own 369 built 1989 which I presume is a Mark 1. I have recently replaced the outboard engine with a 4-stroke Yamaha which had to be shoe horned into the well but which also is an inch or two higher...

Fuel Gauge in Technical Problems - 3 new replies
Hi All, Has anyone successfully installed a electrical or other method of fuel gauge for an inboard Shrimper ? I know simplicity is a Shrimper virtue but I'm fed up of dipping and calculating and dies...
Liddles 1kg Fire Extinguisher at £7.98 in Shrimper Talk - 4 new replies
Thursday 18th August; Just to let anyone who requires a Dry Powder Fire Extinguisher for their boat that Liddles have theirs in stock again, its a nice small size and a serious looking item with an al...
See more topics

Top Posters last week

martin-wall
stevek
kentor
graham-turner
lars
see more
See the full rankings

Stats
Founded: Apr 28, 2009
Members: 203
See all of our stats
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Forum Newsletter and site content

Postby Simon Head » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:59 pm

It is totally ILLEGAL to send out mail from the forum unsolicited. Note that if the Shrimper forum is sending out unsolicited mails they are, in theory, risking being on the end of a £5000.00 fine from the ICO (Information Commissioners Office). In the real world this is currently rarely enforced, although it could be!

There has to be a mechanism to unsubscribe as some users may not want a regular newsletter. This is not available with Vbulliten.

In the UK spamming is illegal.

Please see the link below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3120628.stm

One of the main purposes of the forum is to exchange ideas about the Cape Cutter 19 by owners and potential purchasers to promote the design of the boat. It does this well.

What I can look at doing is providing a summary of new posts on the front page of the site.

Note that you can subscribe to a forum or a thread and receive updates via email as per the Shrimper site NOW but as to a newsletter by mail automatic from the forum this is a no no. You have to opt in to this service.

With regards to site content I have requested content on numerous occasions but not received ANY, with the exception of David Peck and Chris Wicks. Content is only published if submitted!

If we had more submissions we would not need to open up the albums to the general public. This is not recommended by Vbulliten for security reasons. I am certainly not going to consider other software free or otherwise as Vbulliten is the standard with regards to forum software.

We have to have a reason anyway for users to join to see photos of mods etc anyway.

If more content is wanted on the site please provide it!!

Please note (as has been pointed out) that due to a smaller community (i.e just over 100 boats) this Association is tiny compared to other Associations where there are a lot more boats out there.

Kind Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Forum and Website Comments