Watertight holes

Improvements and solutions

Watertight holes

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:33 pm

A basic question this, but as a newcomer to CC19 ownership I have a lot to learn.

In my first season's sailing I have found out why there are various modifications discussed here, and I have a few I want to tackle this winter. The first is to modify the lazy jacks in the manner done by several members, using a triple Spinlock clutch in place of the existing double. Hence the need to drill my first holes in my cherished CC's coach roof.

I have bought some sharp drill bits, and watched several YouTube videos about fixing deck fittings. There seem to be two schools of thought when dealing with a sandwich structure like our coach roof.

1 Some simply use sealant on its own (Spinlock insists a silicone one must be used for the clutch).

2 Others say use a bent nail in the drill to scoop out some of the balsa layer, then tape the underside and inject West System resin with filler, let it harden and drill a hole for the bolt through that - the resin forming a hard and sealing collar around the bolt hole which stops water ingress to the balsa layer if the silicone sealant (also used) ever fails.

Do CC Owners feel it is necessary to use technique 2? Or am I over-engineering, as the halyard clutch doesn't exactly get regular seas breaking over it?

While on the subject, any recommendation please as to the best silicone sealant?

Happy sailing

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Re: Watertight holes

Postby Dennis » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:04 am

Hello Malcom

I got around this problem by retaining the double clutch, and tensioning the genoa/yankee luff using a double block outhaul system fitted to the end of the bowsprit. I originally simply tied this off at one of the cleats on the bowsprit but eventually fitted a simple jammer to the bowsprit. This of course freed up one of the clutches for the lazyjack/topping lift. (There are pics in the "Mary Ann Modifications" album.)

Other advantages of using my system include using the double block outhaul as an aid for raising/lowering the mast.

The existing reinforcing pad in the coach roof may be large enough to accommodate a triple clutch, why don't you telephone Bob Brown and ask him the dimensions.

Lot of options. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Re: Watertight holes

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Dennis. I was lucky enough to find an unused Spinlock triple clutch on eBay so the major capital outlay was lessened slightly and I have gone for the same solution as Erbster.

I have emailed Bob as you suggest - if the triple won't fit the same reinforcement plate I am sure he can supply a matching one that is big enough.

If I could continue to pick your brains though, I was impressed to see Mary Ann's three way divided lazy jacks. Are the measurements - of the lines and of the points of attachment to the boom - trade secrets or would you be willing to share them for appropriate payment in kind to be made (presumably in litres rather than pints if Holland is still on) at the 2017 Rally? You have my email if you happen to have a PDF of a drawing. I intend to learn to splice braided rope over this winter and I will need that as I believe your lazy jacks arrangement has several soft eyes.

All the best

Malcolm

PS. We have strayed from watertight holes to rigging - sorry. Not sure if I shoud be responding in a different thread
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Return to Modifications