Burgee/Flag arrangements

Improvements and solutions

Re: Burgee/Flag arrangements

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:40 pm

Thanks Alistair. I didn’t know Treasurer carried the position of honorary Keeper of the Flags, or I’d have contacted you direct.

I’d like to try flying the flag for CC19s on my trip to Wales in 10 days time so I’ll PM you my address. Apart from wanting to to test halyard arrangements, It’s the home territory of Bay Cruisers so Rondo needs to look her best!

Cheers

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby erbster » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:13 pm

Malcolm, I drilled a small hole in the port side tab on the hounds. That way, I could shackle a small block there, which carries the flag halyard to the deck rail. You’re quite right, many go to a lot of trouble to dress their boats at OGA rallies. I have letter flags which almost spell out my daughters’ names (fortunately, they don’t know the flag alphabet, so they don’t question my word). I hoist only in port, so use the peak halyard and tie the bottom to the boom/gaff. It would be nice to fly some for’ard too, for which I would use the staysail halyard.

You’ll get a very large (for a CC) banner flag for the rally (many boats fly ten or more at the Yarmouth rally). I always fly the CC burgee at the top, above my club burgee. A Jolly Roger also flies if either daughter is aboard. If I’m showing off, I also fly courtesy flags for places I’ve been. What is it about sailors and flags?!

I only dress in harbour(!) because I’m worried about the strings fouling some piece of rigging and/or going overboard. They make a lot of wind noise too, under sail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:09 pm

Thanks Charles. This is all very encouraging. I think I will try the Nauticalia string of flags as a starting point and test out the rigging thereof - I hadn’t hoisted on board the fact that we only dress when we are not sailing so can use the halyards as you suggest. Good point

Cheers

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Previous

Return to Modifications