Towing vehicles

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks Bert

If you send a PM no copy is kept by default. I have been caught out by this frequently.
You have to remember to check the box at the bottom of the page (every time).

I cannot find a way of doing this automatically. (maybe Simon can help?)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Spare Wheels

Postby David Peck » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:58 am

Hello Dennis,

Pleased to see you have a new Freelander 2 SD4. I will be interested to know how you find the towing compared to your old Discovery. As you know I have the 150bhp version with manual gearbox (the SD4 190bhp was not available when I bought mine). A pity you are not taking it somewhere with some real hills to test its starting capacity.

Did your car come with a full size spare wheel? Mine only came with a smaller steel section wheel and I'm told you are not allowed to use it for towing! Is this information correct as I'm considering towing mine down to Brittany later in the Year?

Regards
David Peck CC94
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Hello David

Good to hear from you.

You are right, not many hills in Holland. However, I will be taking Mary Ann off her mooring on Kielder Water next weekend. There is a steep(ish) hill from the yacht club up to the main road, but I do not expect it to be a problem.
I expect the auto transmission will mask the lack of the low ratio transfer box which the Disco had.

I do have a full size spare.:)

Where does it say that you can not use the temporary spare when towing?

I have checked the handbook, (Section "Wheel Changing" - "Important - Use of Spare Tyre") it does not place a restriction on use when towing.

I do know that some manufacturers do specify that you must not use a temporary spare when towing, I do not know whether LR do or don't.:confused:
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello again David

I have posted your question on the FL2 forum, some (but not all) of the guys on there are knowledgeable, you can follow the topic here:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic12425.html

Lets us see what they come up with!
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Spare Wheels

Postby David Peck » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks Dennis for your reply and the trouble taken in putting it on the FL2 forum.

The spare steel wheel I have is a Dunlop 225 65 R17 with a label on it restricticting the speed to 50mph. No mention of course, about using it for towing! My alloy wheels are Goodyear 235 65 R17, almost the same section, but not quite.

As suggested by some of the contributors in the FL2 forum, I will probably look for a similar alloy wheel to be on the safe side.

Regards
David Peck CC94
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:36 am

Hello David

The spare tyre you have is only 10mm narrower than your running wheels, hardly a space saver. The only saving is the cost of an alloy compared with a steel rim.

From what I can can gather from the FL2 forum is that the 50 mph limit is because of the wheel nuts, which are designed for use with the alloy wheels only.

There does not seem to be any load restriction when using the steel spare, this of course makes sense, what use is a spare wheel which cannot be used when the car is fully loaded (or towing?).

Interestingly, the options on new (MY 2012) FL2s is full a size alloy or "Land Rover Tyre Repair System". This is I believe a compressor and some sort of repair adhesive. The advantage being, more boot space!

I think you have a choice of sticking with the steel spare and accept the inconvenience of limited emergency use only if you have to use it, or get an alloy spare which would enable you complete any journey with less inconvenience.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks again Dennis for your information,

I think the option you had was for the expandable foam kit that is now supplied on many cars for injecting into the tyre as an emergency get you home/to a garage. I have been looking on ebay and various websites and all I can find that is similar is an official Freelander 2 alloy rim for £149. Does that seem reasonable? The problem then is whether the tyre supplied on the spare steel wheel is suitable for speeds exceeding the 50mph limit?

Regards
David Peck CC94
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Hello David

When buying new, LR charge £185 for an full size alloy spare in lieu of the "Land Rover Tyre Repair System".

£149 seems reasonable for a brand new rim. (make sure that it is the same style as your other wheels!)

I did a quick on ebay and came up with wheels from approx £85 link here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=freelander+2+17%22+alloy

If you are going to the bother of buying a new rim, I would put a tyre on identical to the other four on the car, that way you have no restrictions.

I would be reluctant to motor any distance with odd size tyres on the same axle, this could cause premature wear in the differential. I suspect that the tyre on the steel rim is a bog standard tyre which can be used normally. If it has a rating after the tyre size (e.g. 108 H or something similar) The letter refers to the speed rating which varies from Q (99mph) up to Y (186mph)

It is worth keeping an eye on e-bay, wheels crop up on there quite often. You could always sell your (unused?) steel rim and tyre by the same method.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Spare Wheels

Postby David Peck » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Thanks yet again Dennis for your sound advice. I will be looking out for the same rim style and tyre type I already have. I believe the tyres are supposed to be low friction type for better economy!

Regards
David Peck CC94
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:35 pm

David Peck wrote:Thanks yet again Dennis for your sound advice. I will be looking out for the same rim style and tyre type I already have. I believe the tyres are supposed to be low friction type for better economy!

Regards
David Peck CC94

Hello David

Land Rover ! Economy ???

In your dreams! :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Trailers and Towing