Towing vehicles

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

Postby David Hudson » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:07 am

As ever with these subjects, the devil is in the detail.

The RAV 4 comes in 2 engine sizes. The 2 litre is lightweight
but the 2.2 has a much higher braked towing capacity.

Ex Toyota blurb:
Towing capacity (braked) ([color="Red"]kg[/color] / lb) [color="red"]2000[/color] / 4410.

This is from the man with 2 Aygo's in the family!
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi David,

It looks to me as though you are getting some well informed opinions here. For me I would not want to do without the low range transfer box as I use some steep slopes and I would wish to have that option in Brittany I guess. If you are touring the better the ability of the towing vehicle, the wider your options. If you were considering secondhand I went for the old model Grand Vitara 5 door 2 litre. Mine is petrol but I would have liked a deisel.

Secondhand they are amazing value, mine at 3 years old and 19,000 miles was £7,500 from a main dealer (2 years ago). Now a good 04 model would be about 5k. I don't know the weight (oops) but it is an exceptionally comfortable car and although bought as a work horse, is hard to fault. Last year we drove Venice to Calais non stop (not towing) without a problem.

I think this is likely to be at the bottom end of the range of vehicles that might suit. Lastly I went for the old model as it has a seperate chassis and manual 4wd selection. Keeping everything simple.

Good luck
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Dennis » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:30 pm

[quote="DavidH"]The RAV 4 comes in 2 engine sizes. The 2 litre is lightweight
but the 2.2 has a much higher braked towing capacity.

Ex Toyota blurb:
Towing capacity (braked) ([color="Red"]kg[/color] / lb) [color="red"]2000[/color] / 4410.QUOTE]

Hello all

In the interests of accuracy.

2.0 V-Matic Manual
Kerb weight: 1485 Kg
Towing capacity (braked) (kg / lb) 2000 / 4410

2.0 V-Matic Multidrive S
Kerb weight 1565 Kg
Towing capacity (braked) (kg / lb) 1500 / 3307.5

2.2 D-Cat Automatic
Kerb weight 1650 Kg
Towing capacity (braked) (kg / lb) 1800 / 3969

So the lightest Rav4 has the highest towing capacity, and the heaviest a lower towing capacity. (Source Toyota website)

Remember; the stated towing capacity is simply the mass that the car can restart on a 12% incline, not the mass that can be towed safely. It does however represent the legal limit.

Cheers

Dennis
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:15 pm

I don't have the time to copy all of Toyota's RAV spec's
but I think Dennis has forgotten the RAV 2.2D 4D Manual
which has a braked capacity of 2000Kg's.

As I said, the devil is in the detail!

For the full RAV range spec's. try this ref.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?deepLink=RV6_Specification_new&nodiv=TRUE&fullwidth=TRUE&edname=specSheet_RV6&carModel=New_RAV4&imgName=bv/CarChapter/RV5/Imagery/RV5_spec.jpg&zone=Zone%20NG%20RAV4&navRoot=toyota_1024_root
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Towing Weight Database

Postby David Hudson » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:26 am

Women drivers!

My daughter has told me about a database which might help us.

The manufacturer / model search appears to work and Parkers has a good
reputation in the trade for valuations.

Ref:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/advice/TowingWeightCalc.aspx?mode=choose#
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Chris Wicks wrote:Hi David,

It looks to me as though you are getting some well informed opinions here. For me I would not want to do without the low range transfer box .....
Good luck

Chris,
Thanks for your reply.
I note your desire for the low range transfer box. Dennis has also stated this is a desirable feature. However, do you think you would be unable to haul the boat up a relatively steep slipway without it? I notice the max towing weight has not been increased as a result of having it!
As the kerb weight is relatively low for this vehicle, an issue raised by Dennis, have you found towing the Cape Cutter to be a stable combination, especially over a long trip?
Regards
David Peck
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Dennis wrote:Hello David

There a number of strategies you can use to ease the situation.

First I would reduce the weight being towed by carrying as much in the car as possible.....
Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for another comprehensive reply.

I note that you are planning to downsize to a Land Rover Freelander 2. Do you plan to tow the Cape Cutter with this car and if so, presumably you must think it adequate?

Regarding the the use of automatic transmission, I notice however, that most manufacturers seem to lower the max towing weight when choosing this option?

Yesterday I had a test drive in a Freelander 2 and was very impressed. Any further information on its suitability would be appreciated, as it is now at the top of my list!

Discussing your weight concerns with a colleague, he suggested a Hyundai Santa Fe. This 4x4 has an increased kerb weight of 1964kg and a max towing weight of 2,200kg. Does your "Caravan Club" have any opinions on this as a tow car? It will of course, exceed my desire to keep the combined weight under 3500kg!
Regards
David peck
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Sledgehammer

Postby David Hudson » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:03 pm

I've cracked it. A Jeep 2.8 litre CRD diesel with 9,000 miles
in the service book for £9,000. And the discounted cash flow
outcome makes sense over the years I will keep it.

I will be able to tow two Cutters on a double trailer should he
need arise!

Tokoloshe
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:10 pm

[quote="David Peck"]Chris,
Thanks for your reply.
I note your desire for the low range transfer box. Dennis has also stated this is a desirable feature. However, do you think you would be unable to haul the boat up a relatively steep slipway without it?

The advantage of the low ratio box is that you can get the whole thing moving with only a few revs and less burning of the clutch. On the steep slipway I regularly use there is a bit of a lump that the trailer can ground on. Not ideal I know, but with the low range I can just power over it... Ouch! Equally on sand I have found the low ratio useful. For our environment here I would not want to be without it. I will post a couple of pictures on the 'Kaliope CC67' album of the boat on my driveway and at my regular launch site. Lastly I have done no long distance towing with this vehicle but feel confident about it's ability.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Dennis » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Hello David

I do not expect to downsize my car in the immediate future. However, when I bought the Discovery 3 it was to tow a caravan with a MTPLM of 1790 Kg. I seriously considered a Freelander 2 at that time (it was fresh on the market) as it was excellent to drive and I had a Freelander 1 at the time which had given me 54,000 miles of fault free service. But I could not get (at that time) an accurate kerb weight for the car from Land Rover.

I note that the kerb weight is now stated as (from) 1775 Kg, presumably for the basic manual model. I would assume that you could add approx. 50Kg to that figure for a HSE spec automatic. With this information I would happily tow 1800 Kg with a Freelander 2.

I opted for the Discovery 3 XS TDV6 because it cost approx the same as the Freelander 2 HSE Automatic and it is a no compromise towing vehicle (Kerbweight over 2.5 tonnes, towing limit 3.5 tonnes, low ratio transfer box, permanent 4WD, adjustable air suspension giving constant ride height, 600mm + wading depth, etc).

Recovery of a boat with the Discovery is a doddle, in low ratio 1st gear I do not even have to use any accelerator to pull the boat out, no matter how steep the ramp is. I also set the car to offroad ride height (which raises the car another 50mm) which enables me to safely take the car further into the water, making it easier to float the boat onto the trailer. (I make sure that I am wearing my waders before I jump out of the car at this point).

However, my experience with a Freelander 1 with my previous boat would suggest that a Freelander 2 would competently deal with a cape cutter. If you were wanting to trail-sail all of the time and were hauling out every time you were using the boat, I would definitely recommend a car with a low ratio transfer box. However, if you are only hauling out a handful of times each year a Freelander 2 is probably a better compromise.

You pays your money, and you takes your choice.

Looking forward to next season

Dennis
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Trailers and Towing