Shallow draught cruising areas

Recommended places to take your Cape Cutter 19 with details of anchorages, marinas etc

Shallow draught cruising areas

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:02 pm

I have not yet made much use of Rondo’s tiny draught and ability to take the ground, but I am sure many other members will have.

I originally chose a Cape Cutter with creek crawling in mind, but over my first few years of owning Rondo I have been learning her ways with more straightforward sailing on the Norfolk Broads, Ullswater and various coastal cruising areas.

I intend to remedy this omission – hence my starting this thread where I hope members might “pool” experiences of some of the less accessible sailing areas which they have found enjoyable.

For creek crawlers and upper sea loch sailers in Scotland, there is to be a new resource. Bob Bradfield, who produces the excellent Antares charts, is going to prepare a series of charts specifically of areas available only to shallow draft boats. I have been corresponding with Bob (who was mightily impressed by the Cape Cutter by the way) and I offered to put out a call to members of our Association to see if any can recommend such areas which they have sailed, or even better, would sail if there were good charts. He has in mind charting drying anchorages and approaches thereto, etc. I set out below a copy of his email giving more detail.

I hope members suggesting areas on this thread will either forward an email to Bob (email address bob.bradfield@gmail.com ) or consent to my passing on the details. Such charts would be very useful and I would like to help Bob in this latest project.

So let’s use this thread as a place to share ideas for areas where only shallow draft boats can go – and as a means to assist Bob Bradfield to help us arrive safely at their anchorages.

Wishing you all fair winds and sandy bottoms

Malcolm

Copy of email 16/2/23

“They are beautiful boats - I looked over one at Southampton in September.

Suggestions for shallow anchorages - often in drying areas - with lots of shelter and preferably access ashore without gettng too muddy would be very much appreciated. If you look at my 'XL' charts you will see a few of the sort of places I have in mind. I am happy to consider anchorages anywhere n the west coast of Scotland, including the Clyde, and also the north coast. I would be delighted if you invited members to send me any suggestions they have.”
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Re: Shallow draught cruising areas

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:48 pm

Those of you who already have downloaded the Antares charts will know that there is a 2024 edition which Bob Bradfield is encouraging us to use in replacement for the 2022 or 2023 editions. At £9, these have to be the best value charts.

In case anyone on this chat does not already have the Antares charts, I strongly recommend them (within the parameters on which they are supplied, as per their website, of course).
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Re: Shallow draught cruising areas

Postby Andrew Scullion » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:16 pm

For those who have not done the high and dry tidal experience, I thought I would share some of our lessons learnt from drying out on Ladybird.

The ultrasonic depth transducer on Ladybird does NOT perform well in very shallow water, especially river water where there are lots of particles suspended and you cannot see the bottom.

Pay attention to the nature of the bottom for two reasons.
1- Soft mud can push up the centre plate as you are sailing along without you noticing. On a falling tide over soft mud, you can smoothly come to a stop. It is quite strange to notice that you are not moving anymore. You then get to admire the lovely line you have drawn in the mud for the next six hours as you wait for the tide to return.

2- Sand and fine gravel can get washed into, and trapped in the centre plate box, jamming the plate solid. Having had this happen twice on Ladybird, and I know this has happened to others, the main advice is to try and prevent it.
Based on my incidents, my advice is to have the plate pulled fully up into the box with no slack, before getting anywhere near the bottom, to avoid the bottom pushing the plate up as you touch.
If you are planning to take sandy or gritty ground, I would also go one step further and say it is worth having a ground sheet with some rope attached to the corners, that you can pull down under the boat from the bow when floating and tie in place covering the centre place box before you take the bottom.
If you do get it jammed, I have found that a short flat-ended steel bar and lump hammer are the way to sort it. You place one end of the steel bar on the top edge of the centre plate through the inspection hatch and hammer the plate out with the club hammer. You have to hit it hard many times to slowly work it out. A bit like sledge hammering a fence post into the ground.

I hope that helps some people avoid the same mistakes. We have certainly enjoyed our drying-out adventures, there is something great about walking ashore to explore while the tide is out.
Andrew Scullion
CC19 Association Member

Return to Cruising Areas