The Pelion Regatta (Greece) 2009

Queries, notice of, questions or write ups regarding Non-Association events

The Pelion Regatta (Greece) 2009

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:28 am

I posted some pictures of the 2008 event that give a flavour of this annual fun race. It's the only race we take part in and it is a lot of fun, taken seriously out on the water. It is about 8Nm taking about 2.5 hours to complete this year. There is no handicapping just a few classes, Dinghy's and Cats, Wooden Boats, and the catch all Yachts. So this has put our Cape Cutter 'Kaliope' up against some big yachts that we don't have a hope in hell of getting anywhere near, private and charter companies (incl Sunsail from whose base we race) battling it out. But on the water there are a few smaller yachts that have their own race. That's us, a Corribee and 2 20' bermeudan rigged German/Austrian boats. So at their behest this year the organisers decided to intoduce a new class of yacht as a catch all for us small yachts. Yachts under 7.5 meters is far to serious sounding for this fun race, so it was declared by the race committee at the last minute to allow a class for 'Yachts Without Toilets'.....!

So I am very proud to announce another Cape Cutter victory. I am in deep respect of the Round the Island Race and other events far from here, but Kaliope won this years Pelion Regatta in the Boats Without Toilets category!

I won't bore you with the detail but we had a good sail in a mixture of f 2-4 winds and got the biggest cheer at the awards ceremony.......

Yammas!

Chris and Kathryn 'Kaliope'
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby oak » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:35 pm

terrific stuff Chris and Kathryn,
do post some pictures to make us envious.It has been poor weather here for nearly 2 months,[still waiting to cut the hay] so could certainly do with some sun even if only a photograph
Oak
"Merlin"
soggy Ireland
oak
CC19 Association Member

Return to Non Association Events