Aegean Rally 2022

Queries, questions or write ups regarding Association events

Aegean Rally 2022

Postby erbster » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:45 pm

it is snowing outside as I write this, but I would like to gauge interest in an adventure in 2022 (something to look forward to).

My idea is for a rally in the Aegean. One of our members, Chris and Kathryn Wicks living in Greece has kept his CC out there for a number of years and having sailed with him out there, the idea struck me of trailing my boat out there for the school summer holidays.

The basic idea is to leave Blighty in mid July and drive down to Brindisi in southern Italy (that's about 1500 miles by road, so probably two nights - sleep in boat?). From there a ferry runs to Patras in Greece (overnight ferry, about £600 including trailer, at current prices), and a final drive to Milina on the Pagasetic Gulf (about 200 miles - one long day's drive on very windy roads), where we can launch the boats.

I had in mind a mixture of island hopping for a few days, combined with chilling out in one spot for a day or two before moving on. The sailing is ideal for the CC, with small islands and channels to explore, with many free anchorages, as well as interesting history and walking ashore.

I am imagining a majority of self catering - eating aboard and maybe BBQs on the beach, as well as visiting tavernas.

This type of sailing would be much more fun in company - anyone interested?
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Re: Aegean Rally 2022

Postby Paul Turner » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:10 pm

Hi Charles. I'm definately interested. I think I may be ready by then to swap the challenges of UK sailing for Greece. Chris has already helped me identify a yard where Sapphire could be stored and launched. Linking the start of this new adventure with a CC rally would be perfect.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Tony Treen » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Charles, I would be interested. As said on the other thread, sailing in some warm weather for a change, and that tinge of envy looking at Chris's photos and videos.
Tony Treen
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:21 am

. Here’s a taster- a video I made when we were guests aboard Kaliope with Chris and Kathryn Wicks.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:45 pm

We will be very excited at the prospect of an Aegean rally with a base at Valtoudi Bay, Milna, South Pelion. Kaliope and Maya 2 are based there to be joined by Dipper in the next few weeks. Charles describes a viable route. A ferry from Ancona Italy to Igoumenitsa is the most direct and saves about 800km in Italy. Equally an overland route would take you via Vienna, to Hungary (Budapest) and down through Serbia and then either Bulgaria or N.Macedonia into Greece, near Thessaloniki. We know this route to drive well. It is easy but involves several borders. The point is ferry via Italy or overland via the Balkans is easy. Roads are good mainly motorway and not expensive with tolls or vignettes. The benefits here are great in terms of sailing. We are mainly day sailors but over the years have got around a bit. The West Agean pilot is useful as is Imray chart G25. The area is popular with charter yachts but our little boats always are admired and can sneak in where others cannot. I would recommend anyone to carry a stern anchor as well as the bow anchor. Very useful and for us vital to anchor in shallows at a beach or small village. I carry a Rocner 4 in my stern locker with chain and rope. I used to carry a second HM anchor. Anyway should this come off we can support you and arrange a mini cruise in company and be around for anyone who spends an extended time in the area.

Happy new year

Chris and Kathryn
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Chris Wicks » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:08 am

Here is a video by our friend Thomas Huber sailing his locally built Romilly 22 in our sailing area. There is a great deal more to see than what is covered here but its a taster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWFeBs_wlRM
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby CliveHJones » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:42 pm

50:50 for me ... easy run from Brittany ... sleep in boat en-route and while cruising ... out one route, and back another ::
would much prefer June or Sept, have long avoided the school hols travel season wherever I've lived,
makes for a far more interesting touch with local culture [and beer]

CHJ
CliveHJones
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:48 pm

We are happy to assist all participants at the Aegean Rally. Because it is a long way to travel it clearly will not be a there and back plus one-week sailing event. I think Charles will be tied to high summer, but others might come earlier and stay longer. Potentially base a boat here for several months and make several in between trips. Perhaps we can think about it differently and a bit more open and flexible on dates. June and early July is the most fantastic time and good winds continue through to September. Much of the sailing is based around Pelion and North Evia. There is plenty of room even in high season which in any event only peaks in the first two weeks of August. Skiathos is a busy tourist island but will probably only be a place for a quiet stopover, using anchorages. Skopelos and Alonyssos are quieter. So any time from May to late September is great. If people bring boats at different times we can support and join in plans for a great summer sailing experience.

Cheers

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:21 am

Agreed, Chris. I’d prefer June and though my job as a teacher gives me long hols, I get no choice on dates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:49 pm

We have had another great summer sailing in our familiar Aegean sailing grounds. There are now four Cape Cutters based in the area and although we have not all managed to sail at the same time we have had some great sails in company.

So over this winter if anyone wants to plan a trip out to our part of Greece we are happy to help. If individual boats decide to come at any time to suit them we will be more than happy to help out with practicalities, suggest itineraries and do some sailing together during your visits.

So I leave it there, no fixed times, dates or agendas but an open invitation to any other Cape Cutters to visit this wonderful area.

For anyone considering basing a boat here there are various small yards being used. The cheapest works out at 300EUR per year in a secure open yard with tractor launch at 30 EUR for one launch and one recovery. This yard at Katigiorgis is on the southern tip of Pelion immediately opposite Skiathos. I have never paid a mooring fee as we use small harbours and anchorages (Platania and Valtoudi bay Milina). If you base a boat here a reasonable mooring with anchors, chain, rope swivels etc works out at around 300 EUR and can be sourced locally. In most places you find a suitable spot and lay your mooring, that's it.

It is a long way for many people to travel but f you have the inclination you will find a fabulous and extensive sailing area in the Gulf of Volos, and North Sporades Islands. Semi sheltered conditions with summer winds of F3 to 6 being common at predictable times of the day.

Best wishes

Chris
CC19 67 Kaliope of Pelion
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Association Events