Recovering

Questions or comments regarding the launching and recovery of your Cape Cutter 19.....

Recovering

Postby GRIMSHAW » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:46 pm

Being a member who keeps his boat on a mooring I only need to pull the boat out once or twice a year. At the end of last season I had great difficulty in establishing the keel centrally on the rollers. I needed to do this because the boat was to be trailed up to Rochdale for some TLC and not just parked for a week or two between sails. No matter how much we struggled the boat would insist on missing the rollers and lodging on the plastic side plates ; this could only be seen once the boat was clear of the water. There was no sidewind and the water was still (if murky). Any tips on how to do it without using the method in the handbook (we cant use outboards) of fitting side bars to the trailer would be appreciated..
GRIMSHAW
CC19 Association Member

Recovering & launching- my forte!

Postby Simon Head » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi Graham

Thanks for joining the Association.

All my sailing involves launching & recovery- I have now got this to a fine art and now get it on spot on every time.

The best way to do this is by using 2 people- one on the winch and one using a telescopic boat hook pushing the rear of the boat from the cleats at the rear

The secret for this is to get the trailer in deep enough for just the bow to bite on the mid rollers. Once the boat is on these rollers the person with the boat hook pushes the boat on instruction from the "winch man" (usually me) who can see when the boat is lined up.

Once the boat is lined up the winchman winches in- the friction of the boat on the upper rollers maintains it centrally.

I have a pair of waders for this operation just to carry out major corrective action at the start of the operation if necessary. I do not generally have to do this- only if there is a tidal flow running in where I am recovering.

You do not need an outboard to recover- I know Nick use to do this but I prefer the more relaxed approach.

It does take a little practice as I had similar experiences to you until I sorted it out- the boat misses the last roller.

Hope this is of help

Regards

Simon Head
CC40 "Halcyon"
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby GRIMSHAW » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:42 am

Hi Simon
I've just pulled the boat out for its winter lay-up and despite trying to follow your instructions still took 3 refloats to get it onto the centre rollers. The problem I experience is that although the boat looks square it isnt until it is pulled clear of the water that you can see whether it is on the centre rollers or not. Another problem may be that my No 2 is only diminutive and has difficulty pushing and pulling with the boathook.
Does anybody have side bars on their trailer or know of any bolt ons that can be fitted to an HM trailer?
Regards, Graham
GRIMSHAW
CC19 Association Member

Postby oak » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:22 pm

Hello Graham,

I would like to reinforce Simons comments.

First it is desirable to have the trailer with the water covering the mudguards.
second have some chest waders on.Very useful for the floods we have at the monent with 3ft of water at our front gate.£20 for a nylon pair ,much easier to use than neoprene to get on and off

My no 2 is availble for tweeking and generally supporting me but I find that having got the boat lined up I can pull the boat over the trailer and position her in the centre.then clip on the winch strap
no 2 could be holding a stern line to stop swinging but we are both off the boat.
I try and avoid very windy days,I am quite lucky in having my own dock
hopde this helps
Jack
"Merlin"
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:20 pm

Hi Oak

I presume you have a wooden jetty?

PS CC111 Tokoloshe has arrived on the Tyne.
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby GRIMSHAW » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:02 pm

I have just posted 2 photos of the guides that I have recently fitted to my trailer. The parts (U bolts,posts,channels and rubber pads) were purchased on-line and I also needed to fabricate 4 wooden spacer blocks too. I hope that this arrangement will help me to centre the boat 1st time when pulling her out of the water (in the autumn probably).
GRIMSHAW
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

I've just seen quite a good recovery guide system on a trailer in our boat park.

At the rear of the trailer there is a length of tube which rotates through two mounting
rings welded to the trailer rear cross member.

To this are attached two straight arms, at right angles to the cross tube.

These pivot into the vertical for launch / recovery guidance and are then
stored horizontally against the trailer arms during transportion..

David
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

RollerGuides

Postby seasickwhale » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi David,

this may be old news to you, but just in case ...

Marty Jacobson from Oregon posted a few photos af a very elaborate system in 2004 in the old Yahoo-group - see

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/capecutter19/photos/album/215966414/pic/list?mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
Happy Sailing

Stephan Radke
CC52 "Herr Nilsson"
seasickwhale
CC19 Association Member

Return to Launching and Recovery