RYA Theory courses

Questions or comments regarding sailing your Cape Cutter 19.....

RYA Theory courses

Postby x-man12345 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:55 pm

I am thinking of signing up for a home study RYA theory course. Has anyone done one?
Any advice?
Thanks in advance
Ian
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 am

I've done the Yachtmaster Theory course. It was run locally, Cambridge, over
the winter...Oct to April.
2 hour sessions one evening a week. Good opportunity to meet other mariners... from sea anglers to liveaboards.
Also a good way to get through the dark winter months.
RYA run them all over the country.
Ian
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby x-man12345 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:51 am

Thanks for the reply Ian.
Does that mean you didn't do the Day Skipper theory?
Some schools say you should do the Day Skipper before the coastal/yacht master. I am not a expert sailor but understand the basics of navigation. I can also get the expert :rolleyes: advice of the deck officers on the ship I work on.
Thanks
Ian
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Wed May 22, 2013 8:13 am

Hi Ian,
Yes I did go straight to the Coastal/Yachtmaster course, and was able to cover any gaps with a bit of background reading. There are plenty of books covering the Day Skipper course.
As the course was over 20 weeks at 2 hours a week there was plenty of time for catch up, and I didn't find it a problem at all.
It sounds as though you have access to some expert advice , which can only help.
The 1 week (5 day) or 2/3 weekend courses would be a bit more frenetic , but shouldn't be a problem.
Regarding usefulness, for coastal and offshore sailing, I would say essential.
Sailing Schools want you to do all the courses, that's their business, but if you show a bit of relevant knowledge they are usually ok.
Good luck,
Ian
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby bellalistair » Wed May 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi,

Katie and I also jumped straight in with the Coastal/Yachtmaster theory. Provided you have a basic understanding of at least some of the theory (eg basic navigation with compass and OS map and that navigation buoys/marks exist) then it shouldn't be a problem. We did our course as evening classes under the local authority adult education banner, the local instructor had registered them as a RYA training centre and was running the course for them so no variety of instruction that you may be able to get from a specific sailing school but it was cheaper!

Cheers
Alistair
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby x-man12345 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:26 am

Signed up for the Costal skipper/yacht master yesterday. The guy at the sailing school was really helpful (from his mobile on a yacht on the Scillies).
He said that if you have the basics then you do not need to do the Day skipper.
Looks like I will have my head in books (computer) for the next couple of months.
Ian
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Thu May 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Then you'll be on your way to the Scillies!!
Good luck and enjoy the course.
Ian
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Return to Seamanship