Stability numbers

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Stability numbers

Postby Dennis Williams » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:12 am

Trying to collate information for yachting NZ and the Trailer Sailer Association.
I have Dudley Dix's stability curve but does anyone have further information. I see there is a stability number on the specification page of 100 (gobbledeegook)? What does this refer to?
Is there a STIX number? I assume there is one somewhere as it has a CE number.
Thanks
Dennis
Dennis Williams
CC19 Association Member

Re: Stability numbers

Postby Dennis » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Hello Dennis

What stability page are you referring to?

The only number I have seen quoted is the 110 degrees positive stability. That is the boat will self right up to a heel angle of 110 degrees (mast tip in the water). AVS = 110

You are correct that the boat is CE certified, it has been assigned to Category C with a crew of 4 in accordance with ISO12217.

As your boat is a self-build, I am not sure what information you have been provided with. The GRP boats built by Honnor Marine are supplied with a handbook specific to the boat supplied (my copy runs to 31 pages), although as far as I can see most of the information is available on the CC19 website: http://www.capecutter19.com/design.htm
If it would help, I could copy any pages you require and e-mail them to you.

The boat will only have a STIX number if someone has applied to the RORC for one: http://www.rorc.org/13-stability-stix-a ... icate.html
I assume that no one has.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Re: Stability numbers

Postby Dennis Williams » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:54 pm

Aaahhh..that is what the gobbledygook number was, the 110 degrees!
I am hoping the stability graph will be good enough otherwise it's a convoluted maths job, anybody?, or a pull down test.
I will drop Dudley Dix a line.
Has anyone done a pull down test? I would love to know where the waterline is at 90 degrees. Gut feeling says the hatch will be well clear of the water and it will be floating like a cork. I am reluctant to do it to Ian's masterpiece though.

Dennis and Heather
Tiptoe.
Dennis Williams
CC19 Association Member

Return to Other Technical