Replacement Galley Sink Bowl

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Replacement Galley Sink Bowl

Postby David Peck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 am

Galley Sink Basin

I’m getting rather frustrated by the non- draining sink bowl fitted in the galley requiring you to go outside to empty it over the side!

I intend to convert it to drain via a proper plug waste system and ball valve with the exit just above the water line.

Before I start to drill holes in the bottom of the existing stainless bowl, does anyone know of a suitable small proprietary draining stainless unit that could replace it (250mm diameter or square)? All the units I have found are too large for the galley top.

A disadvantage of converting the existing bowl is a raised rim on the bottom, meaning the bowl will never fully empty. As a result, I may well make a fibre glass moulding to replace it, so if anyone else is interested in a moulding, let me know.

Another advantage of a permanently plumbed in bowl is that it can be properly sealed around the lip to prevent water dripping inside the locker beneath. Extended and sealed wood trim galley top edging would also stop water running down onto the bunks.

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Bob once told me that he uses s/s dog drinking bowls for the sinks. My SA one is plastic.

I'm also tempted to do something similar, but just draining into a container in the locker rather than drilling a hole in the hull. I don't create too much waste water, so a 5l bottle from a supermarket should do it. I tend to buy these for my drinking water any way, and keep a small water carrier in the forward locker for the pump tap.

Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Black Sheep » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi,
Definitely I would be interested in a better alternative for the current dog-sink. I also looked for a draining version but so far I did not find any.
Michel
Black Sheep
Black Sheep
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:44 pm

David Peck wrote:Galley Sink Basin

Before I start to drill holes in the bottom of the existing stainless bowl, does anyone know of a suitable small proprietary draining stainless unit that could replace it (250mm diameter or square)? All the units I have found are too large for the galley top.

Hello David

This is the smallest that I could find:

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/home/product_30148/smev_series_900_rectangular_sink.aspx

I think it would fit, but would not leave room for the pump!

I only use the "dog bowl" to catch the drips from the tap! The kettle also sits nicely in it when I am sailing.

I use plastic bowls, three of them (which nest for storage) for all other duties. One for washing up (pots and pans), one for food preparation, and one for (occasional) ablutions.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Sink on Ladybird

Postby x-man12345 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Not sure if this helps but Ladybird has a stainless steel sink (with drain plug) and drainer/top. The drain is just a hose into the locker below, presumably for a collection vessel.
The top also has a lip all the way around it. I can get a photo of it and post it if you would like. I just thought this was standard.
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:20 pm

[quote="Ru88ell"]Bob once told me that he uses s/s dog drinking bowls for the sinks. My SA one is plastic.

Thanks for all your comments.

Well at least I now know why this sink arrangement “looks like a dog’s dinner”!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Dennis for the link to the s/s sink unit. I’ve found one a little smaller but I think it will still be too large!

http://www.penguineng.com/Sinks/Cylindrical/Satin/LICIL26-5SB.php

I guess it’s looking like another moulding job – but square or round? :(

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:51 pm

On Tokoloshe I fitted a slightly larger depth and diameter bowl with outlet.

Drained water was held in a collapsible container in the cupboard below and
emptied ashore as required. "sssssshimple"
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Return to Other Technical