Swim ladder

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Swim ladder

Postby Jaap » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:07 pm

Hi there,
I'm installing a swim ladder. I was wondering if there is a specific side on the cc19 that is prepared for fixing a ladder? I guess that there is only air(hollw) between the outside and inside(cockpit) gpr structure, or is it woodcore? Do you fill his up with epoxy or foam? Of course I will be using a contra plate on the cockpit side but with nothing in between I'm afraid the gpr will crack when tightining the bolts and nuts.

Any idea or comment would be much appriciated.

Regards Jaap
Jaap
CC19 Association Member

Re: Swim ladder

Postby Andrew Scullion » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:55 pm

On Ladybird, South Africa boat, the void was hollow and do NOT attempt to fix a swim ladder without filling the void with a structural bridge where the two skins are put under compression.
I had to repair my transom where a previous owner had cracked the two by crushing them together with the swim ladder fittings.
On Ladybird, you can take off the cover strip which is glued onto the top of the transom and this reveals the joint between the outer hull and cockpit. You could then fill the void from above and then replace the cover stip.
Andrew Scullion
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:33 pm

I fitted the swim ladder to Kaliope at home. An Honnor Marine ladder with instructions from Bob. Mine was to starboard side of transom. It has to clear the rudder when fully turned (to port) and the internal backing plates must be accessible inside the cockpit. That narrows down the position in which to fix it. I was advised to pump sikaflex generously into the drilled holes. Insert the bolts and make them partially tight but without very strong pressure. Leave for one day. Then give the bolts an extra half turn. This secures it well without risk of damage. It worked!

In a weeks time we will fit a ladder to Dipper which is stored at my place for now. See external photo and internal showing ladder backng plates inside transom.

Good luck

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Jaap » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 am

Hi Chris,
did you notice if the transom was hollow?
weren't you afraid when tightening the nuts that the sides would be pulled inside or when the ladder is used that it would break the GPR?
a bridge between the front and back was adviced by others to me, either with epoxy or with a tube over the bolts.
I'm now thinking of using a inox tube to bridge the gap and seal it with sikaflex.
backing plates will also be used.

greetings jaap
Jaap
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:46 pm

We fitted the ladder to Henk's boat Dipper today. His boat is by Honnor Marine (number 82) 2008. Kaliope's also by Honnor Marine (number 67) 2006. The method I used when I fitted Kaliope's was as recommended by Honnor Marine who supplied the ladder. It was years ago. I cannot remember if any part of the transom was hollow but Sikaflex in any voids was recommended.

I can tell you that with Dipper today there was a wooden core where we drilled. I have explained it all in photos on the FB page. Here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/46305530038761 ... 099382162/ good luck. Are you fitting a Cape Cutter design ladder or something else. Henk's is a Greek one but adapted to be almost identical to the original. Take a look and good luck.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Jaap » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:52 pm

Thank you chris for the pictures, nice to see a woodcore. My ladder is from allpa 2x2, yours is a 1x3. Almost the same. I see that you put it close to the waterline. I was a bit worried that it would hit the water if I come close. I recon that it will be fine.
I'll post pictures when it's finished.

https://allpa.nl/exterieur/dek/zwemtrap ... reden.html

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T590 met Tapatalk
Jaap
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails