Bowsprit fittings

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Bowsprit fittings

Postby Lee » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:52 am

Hi All

Please note the pic of the bowsprit fitting on KIRA.
Im sure this is not the correct way to attach.
could somebody please advise how to correctly connect at this point.
exact sizes of fittings would be appreciated to help me order and a photo would help no end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lee
CC19 Association Member

Bowsprit fittings

Postby erbster » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:33 pm

That is an accepted way of doing it, though very untidily tied. I put “pelican clips” on Aurora, but in the end went back to line tied here. I don’t feel the pulleys are needed and tie through the eye on the wire to a small shackle on the hull fitting. The line I use is thinner than shown in your image.

As you are no doubt aware, these lines need to be loosened in order to raise the bowsprit. I find I can pull them right by hand and then tie off with a series of half hitches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Re: Bowsprit fittings

Postby bellalistair » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:21 pm

Pic of the standard setup as per Charles' description.

I keep getting tempted to put little blocks there but can't bring myself to fork out to buy them so it is interesting to see that they appear to have been abandoned there.

BowspritStays.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:30 pm

Lee, have a look at Dennis's photos on Mary Ann. I've copied his set up and it makes it very easy to set and lift the bowsprit quickly which is very useful
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:00 pm

I second Paul’s comment. I sacrificed the traditional simple look of a bowsprit with a water stay plus two plain steel lines leading to the front, for a modified version of Dennis’s solution

I have dyneema bowsprit shrouds with hooks that are easily attached and detached at the hull end and (as Dennis has) a 6:1 high tension block arrangement at the front of the bowsprit for each shroud. That leaves me with two lines coming back down the length of the bowsprit into jamming cleats just inboard of where the bowsprit sits in the prow.

Very easy to rig and to tension the shrouds and also very easy to set up a completely secure vertical position when moored. This removes the movement at the bowsprit pivot which happens if you just tie the raised bowsprit to the forestay with a bungee cord as I used to do (and which had begun to do some damage where the inboard end of the bowsprit is screwed into its S/S hinge piece)

Sorry I have no pics.

Happy fettling

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Lee » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:41 pm

Thanks for the info, Alistair, Paul and Malcolm
It certainly is a mod that most cc owners make.
Hopefully I will check them out at the Rally and take some ideas away.
Lee
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:59 pm

BSfit.JPG

Zimp has a simple lanyard for this
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Nick Phillips » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:38 pm

Hi

Minnie's preparations for this year are going well and I am now looking at the rigging for the bowsprit. I will need to raise the bowsprit on my mooring so want it quickly released/fastened. I am also considering using the bowsprit for mast raising/lowering as documented by Dennis.

My query. The heel fitting (hinge) moves significantly on the end of the bowsprit.
It has a screw from each side which I think is normal?
But when raising the bowsprit the forward end of the hinge fitting drops away from the bowsprit.

I assume this isn't normal? I guess its not an enormous issue for housing on my mooring but I would want to fix it in place if I use it for mast raising.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Cheers
Nick
#85 Minnie, Suffolk
Nick Phillips
CC19 Association Member

Postby bellalistair » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:21 pm

Hi Nick,

the multi-hinge effect whereby the two screws act as a second hinge pivot is obviously not intended but is perhaps so common as to be normal :-)

I added another stainless steel screw through the base thinking it should do the trick, unfortunately it pulled out. I realised with hindsight that I was twisting it slightly when tying down on the trailer. I now have it through bolted which obviously isn't quite as ideal in terms of water penetration opportunity.

I think the moral of this story is that if you do choose to fit an additional countersunk/cheese head screw through the base is choose a screw bigger than you think you need.... (and make sure you have a good sharp drill bit for the stainless)

Alistair
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby Nick Phillips » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:07 pm

Thanks, Alistair
Good to know that it is normal.
And good advice on an additional fixing. If I were to do it I would through-bolt I think.
Cheers
Nick
#85 Minnie, Suffolk
Nick Phillips
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails