Center plate

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Re: Center plate

Postby oak » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:32 pm

hello John,
I rushed off to look at my cable.it looks fine,no fraying but thinking about replacement if ever necessary I asked Dudley Dix yesterday for a drawing .
It came today .Very impressed.It doesn't look too big ajob.
will send you a copy if you would like or perhaps I can put it up in the gallery.
Zimp didn't report any particular problems.
I have fitted ventilators through the deck without problems.we are not dealing with 2 ins mahogany

Oak
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby John Hibbard » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:49 pm

Thanks Oak. I’ve sent you an email through the forum. It would be great if you could send me the drawing.

Would be good to hear how you get on if you make the mod.

Thanks
John
John Hibbard
Non Association Member

Postby Nick Phillips » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:42 pm

Hi, re-awakening this thread as I set about replacing the lifting wire on Minnie which has one or two snapped wires.

It is obvious that there have been different specs for the lifting cable/plate connection, some with a 'bicycle brake cable' style slot in the plate and some requiring the threading of the cable though a hole in the edge to a large hole where the crimped end sits.
Minnie, no 85, has the latter. From above Aurora, number 86, has the slot so I guess the change was made in this era (to mid 2000s) ?

IMG_0067.jpeg

Two requests for advice please:
Has anyone had issues with corrosion of the plate where the wire fits to the plate? Minnie's cable is 'frozen' in the hole where it goes through the plate. Trying levers, grips and penetrating oil to try to free it and the edge of the large hole for the crimp has crumbled slightly in one or two places as though corroded. Could both issues be galvanic corosion?

Fitting Dyneema instead of wire. I know that Zimp and Chris and I believe others have gone for Dyneema. Malcbuchanan has gone the other way. My concern is the chafe over the sheave and where the rope enters the hole in the plate. A brief look has shown that there are many types of Dyneema (SK78, SK79, DM29 etc) and different ways of using it (all Dyneema, polyeste core, polyester sheath etc etc). What have people used for the hoist?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Nick
#85 Minnie, Suffolk
Nick Phillips
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:38 pm

Fitting Dyneema instead of wire. I know that Zimp and Chris and I believe others have gone for Dyneema. Malcbuchanan has gone the other way. My concern is the chafe over the sheave and where the rope enters the hole in the plate. A brief look has shown that there are many types of Dyneema (SK78, SK79, DM29 etc) and different ways of using it (all Dyneema, polyeste core, polyester sheath etc etc). What have people used for the hoist?

Zimp has got a 4mm all Dyneema on her centre plate in 2012. No signs of chafing until now... I don't know the exact SK*/DM* specs. I've had some concerns regarding creep, but that is not observable.
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Nick Phillips » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:16 pm

Thanks Zimp. That's impressive service. Some of the newer Dyneema types such as DM20 were developed to address creep specifically.
I am still in two minds about making the change but not sure why - it looks like no-one who has made the change has had any issues.
It would also overcome any fear of the wire 'freezing' again through corrosion.

... back to trying to free the existing wire.
Cheers
Nick
#85 Minnie, Suffolk
Nick Phillips
CC19 Association Member

Postby Justin Greig » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:57 pm

Just reviving this thread as I now need to replace my centreboard cable and would appreciate advice.
My boat is a South African build (#20) so lacks the access hatch that would allow me to do the job with the plate in situ.
I feel the challenge of lowering the plate on a forklift while the boat dangles from a crane sounds like a job for professionals.
My question is - has anybody entrusted this to their local yard or would it be better to go to HM? Problem is, HM is 145 miles away - but the yard where I get the boat lifted in and out is unlikely to have ever done anything like this before, so I hesitate to ask them ...
Justin Greig
CC19 Association Member

Postby chrisr » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:45 am

Time to fit that "missing" access hatch?
chrisr
Non Association Member

Postby Justin Greig » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:29 am

maybe you are right Chris.
Bert, could you take a photograph of your hatch in Zimp with a measuring tape so that I can judge where to start my hole?
And could you explain the problem you encountered with the cable attachment in the plate? I didn't understand why in the end you needed to drop the plate.
Justin Greig
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:21 pm

Justin Greig wrote:maybe you are right Chris.
Bert, could you take a photograph of your hatch in Zimp with a measuring tape so that I can judge where to start my hole?
And could you explain the problem you encountered with the cable attachment in the plate? I didn't understand why in the end you needed to drop the plate.

Q1, of course can I make some pictures, but it will take several weeks before I see our CC19. I used the picture attached (I found it somewhere on the web) to determine a place to start the hole. But the construction of my SA boat is different, I have a separate cover of lid on the upper side of the center plate housing.

Q2, the problem I encountered with the attachment of the dyneema cable is to find the right knot because the friction between dyneema and dyneema is low. This is why I used the Ashley Stopper knot.

I don't understand your last question. I did the job while the CC19 was on her trailer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Justin Greig » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:45 am

Hi Bert - sorry my question wasn't clear.

The question I was asking about 'the problem you encountered with the cable attachment' relates to this comment in your 2013 post where you say: "First I made a hole in the casing. But the point where the wire was connected to the plate was more aft then it is on the younger boats. So I made quite a large hole. The wire was fitted to the plate by a stainless steel plug with two allen screw in it. So the whole mass of the plate was held by shear. I decide to remove that plug. With help of a friend and a forklift we dropped the plate and removed the stainless steel plug."

Why could you not remove the plug from inside the boat after you had made your access hole in the casing? If I made a hole similar to yours, but just wanted to replace the cable - rather than use Dyneema as you did - would it be possible to leave the plug in position?

The picture you attached is one which Dennis posted in your thread 'Centreboard Problems' back in 2013.
http://www.capecutter19association.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=510
Like Zimp, my boat was made in SA and has a cover over the centreboard housing. I assume you removed that before starting to make your hole?
Another picture posted by Dennis shows the cable of his UK boat simply retained by a swaged end. I assume the plug you mention didn't look like this?

I hope that's clearer? Thanks!
Justin Greig
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails