Anchor well - drainage holes

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Anchor well - drainage holes

Postby peteandfranscott » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:50 pm

This is the end of our first season with Avocet. We absolutely love the boat and how she sails - but there are one or two "niggles" I am trying sort out over the winter. I am finding that the anchor well drainage holes are very ineffective. The bore of the hole is so small that it is constantly getting blocked by the smallest amount of weed from the anchor and by the Exe Estuary mud! I am thinking that the only solution is the increase the diameter of the drainage hole. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? If so - I would welcome any ideas you may have on how to solve the problem.
Pete Scott
Avocet - CC97
peteandfranscott
Non Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:18 am

I cannot help with how to modify the drain holes, but I have a piece of flexible plastic (from a brush cutter) that is a perfect hole poker. Also if you have ever played a wind instrument, sealing the lips over the hull drainage exit hole and try and hit a top C normally unblocks it. Best of luck!

peteandfranscott wrote:This is the end of our first season with Avocet. We absolutely love the boat and how she sails - but there are one or two "niggles" I am trying sort out over the winter. I am finding that the anchor well drainage holes are very ineffective. The bore of the hole is so small that it is constantly getting blocked by the smallest amount of weed from the anchor and by the Exe Estuary mud! I am thinking that the only solution is the increase the diameter of the drainage hole. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? If so - I would welcome any ideas you may have on how to solve the problem.
Pete Scott
Avocet - CC97
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails