CC19 Rigging for Idjets - Q3 - Gaff Questions

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

CC19 Rigging for Idjets - Q3 - Gaff Questions

Postby Norman Sanders » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:09 pm

Third in a series, begging your indulgence.

1. The manual says that the gaff span should be tied "as tightly as possible" to the gaff spar. Mine is well-tied and snug, but if you pull up on the running block, it gets to 14-16" up above the spar. Is this too much, and should it be untied and then tied with less slack in it?

2. What is best practice for lacing the top of the main (is that called the "head" of the main on a gaff mainsail?) to the gaff spar?

3. I don't get from the manual pictures how the throat halyard attaches to the gaff jaw? The manual seems to say that you just tie or lash it onto the through-bolt. That seems like an unnecessary nuisance - are there any hardware arrangements that help with that process? If not, what kind of knot(s) do you use to a) be secure, b) not allow the jaw to twist while raising, or for that matter after being raised.

Thanks for your guidance.

S.
Norman Sanders
CC19 Association Member

Re: CC19 Rigging for Idjets - Q3 - Gaff Questions

Postby bellalistair » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:04 pm

All sounds good :-)

The Cape Cutter is ripe for experiments with nothing being particularly highly loaded.

1. Sounds reasonable, sail shape is what counts at the end of the day.

2. Standard lacing, to and from the eye go the same side of the spar, then over the spar to the next eye from the other side.

3. Yep, as you read it, I took an extra turn or two (can't remember) around the bolt to reduce the chance of loading completely to one side but it is then just tied with a bowline and hasn't ever been a problem...

You'll find your own right answer to a lot of things there certainly isn't a well established 'right way' to rig it.
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby Norman Sanders » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:16 am

Again understood. I am already in improv mode - you are giving me a reference point and I'll build from there. If I were in a position to spend one hour on any of your boats, all of my questions would be answered. Maybe in due course, but in the meantime, I appreciate the guidance.

S.
Norman Sanders
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:49 pm

‘If I were in a position to spend one hour on any of your boats, all of my questions would be answered ‘

Where do you live Norman? I’m sure any of us will be delighted to welcome you aboard. As you say ‘show how’ is so much easier.
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby zimp » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:24 am

Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails