Foredeck drain arrangement

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Foredeck drain arrangement

Postby Malcbuchanan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:46 pm

My foredeck drains use flexible wire braided pipework to connect from the deck fitting to the hull side fittings These block fairly regularly as I thing the through hole size is only 10mm.
Does anyone have an alternative arrangement - preferably of a larger bore size...I guess garden hose and jubilee clips could be used !!
many thanks Malcolm
Malcbuchanan
CC19 Association Member

Re: Foredeck drain arrangement

Postby erbster » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:28 am

Hi Malcolm. Yes, this is s design weakness of the boat. They do block easily, but are easily replaced (the rubber interior pipe perishes). Many complain about these, but few replace with a different arrangement. One boat I know had larger bore copper pipe fitted, but this is a non trivial task. I put bings in mine when the boat is on the trailer to prevent pine needles etc going in. I also find blowing the bottom end of the pipe usually pushes out trapped objects - the obstruction seems to be in the fitting at the top end. I guess you could try the arrangement you suggest; I don’t know of anyone else who has tried that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
Honorary President

Postby zimp » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Zimp (SN 004, a SA build Capecutter) has drains with a diameter of about 1 inch. They made from tubes. These tubes are laminated to the hull. But it seems to me quite a job to install 1 inch tubes instead of the 10mm hoses. Zimp sleeps close to trees so sometimes I have to clean the drains by putting the end of a mooring rope through the drains.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby erbster » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:20 pm

Evidently the deck moulding was changed over time- certainly all the Honnor boats (except one) have a fitting in a slightly different location and the narrow rubber hoses. I wish my drains were 1” and one day maybe I’ll bend some 15mm pipe

Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
Honorary President

Postby Dennis » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:51 pm

It only takes about one sycamore seed plus two pine needles to block mine. :(

Fortunately this only usually happens when the boat is ashore, when it is on it's mooring, or sailing it rarely gets blocked.

I can confirm that HM used standard plumbing flexible tap connectors for this purpose, they are nominally 15mm, but in reality have a bore of about 10mm dia.

A much larger drain (called "scuppers" on ships) would be great, especially when sailing into a heavy sea.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:32 am

I ha e rubber bungs for my drains when Aurora is ashore.

Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
Honorary President

Postby Malcbuchanan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Many thanks to all for all the replies...I think I will start by replacing the existing flexi pipes like for like, ensuring no kinks, before considering anything more drastic. Really useful to know that there is no easy alternative - nothing worse than struggling with something and then finding out afterwards the easy fix !!!
Regards to all - Malcolm
Malcbuchanan
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails