Problems below the waterline

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Problems below the waterline

Postby Chris Wicks » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Resulting from another thread I realised that Kaliope shows evidence of some osmosis around the waterline midships. She spends 6 months afloat each summer in the warm waters of the Aegean sea. So I have arranged to take her to a small local traditional shipbuilder who also deals in GRP. We will remove all the old antifouling. Inspect for osmosis. Deal with whatever we find and make a record of it. After necessary repairs, she will be coppercoated. I will raise the waterline level of the antifouling as it has always been low in the waterline midships. I will keep a record of it on a photo album on our facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ab73dedbc3 As I was told by the pragmatic owner of the boatyard, wood rots, metal rusts and GRP can get it's own problems too!

Fingers crossed.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Re: Problems below the waterline

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:41 pm

I visited our Greek boatyard today and inspected the first stages of stripping off the antifouling and gelcoat below the waterline. It appears that the surface osmosis was more cosmetic and quite probably did not require the full treatment we have implemented. Despite that, I am very happy with our decision. We have enjoyed 13 seasons of sailing and Kaliope is part of the family now. We hope to sail her for many years to come. When the gelcoat is stripped off she will be tested for moisture levels and vacuum dried if necessary. She will be reprofiled with epoxy filler and epoxy resin before the copper coat finish to a slightly raised waterline. I have posted some more photos that may be seen here ... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ab73dedbc3
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails