Tiller Pilots

Installation of instruments and electrics in the Cape Cutter 19

Re: Tiller Pilots

Postby Dennis » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:52 am

The magnetic interference comes from the magnet which is embedded in the flywheel. It is there to operate the magneto ignition system, it makes no difference whether it is two stroke or four stroke. Different manufacturers outboards cause more or less interference depending on the physical location of the flywheel relative to the tiller pilot fluxgate compass.

I have had experience of three different outboards in use with tiller pilots, a Mariner 4 caused no problems. Whereas a Yamaha 4 and Honda 5 produce significant interference.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Stephen Foyle » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 am

Hi Dennis & Charles,

Thanks for that. I have a Yamaha 5hp so seems interference is likely. Can you recommend a tiller pilot or system to buy or,probably more importantly, what system not to buy! Would love to go to your Whitsun rally to talk to you all and see the boats but unfortunately it’s a very busy time at work here.

Kind regards,

Stephen
Stephen Foyle
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:09 pm

I copied Dennis! Got a flux gate compass second hand from Ebay. However, I still haven’t been able to get it to talk to my tiller pilot. There’s no doubt that the addition of an external compass adds significantly to the cost/complexity. My need for a tiller pilot is not critical so I haven’t got my system working yet. Dennis uses his regularly and it gives him good service

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
Honorary President

Previous

Return to Instruments and Electrics