stowing outboard when not in use

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

stowing outboard when not in use

Postby Matthew L » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:44 pm

I was wondering if anyone had a good way of storing the outboard when the boat is moored, at the moment i am either leaving it in the well or taking it home if the boats not in use for a while. Is there a way of lifting it up with maybe an add on bracket I'm not keen on the idea of storing it in the cabin. Many thanks.
Matthew L
CC19 Association Member

Re: stowing outboard when not in use

Postby erbster » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:15 pm

I had my boat on a mooring for a few years. I was shocked at how quickly the prop and leg get fouled if left in the water!

I was lifting the engine out and lashing it suspended in the companionway, not wanting to leave the engine in the cockpit. I did not find the petrol smell a problem, but it’s quite a heavy lump to heave about.

Another strategy is to have a cunning piece of wood across the seats and rest the o/b on that (probably with another technical block under the skeg), so that the engine is clear of the water and angled skeg down. I am contemplating this strategy myself, but have not constructed anything yet.

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:27 am

My alternative has been to leave the engine in situ and antifoul the leg of the O/B using outdrive antifouling. I have just changed from Trilux to a Hemple spray anti fouling that is so quick and easy to use. The downside is at the annual service it is helpful to remove the base of the leg to make sure it is really clean inside. You can clean the leg once or twice through the hole in the well or take a swim when it is warm (obviously that is all summer where we are).

Cheers

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby oak » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:45 pm

Merlin came with a cross member which fitted across the lockers.It has An engine support at the same angle as the one in the boat It is located with 2 pins which are let into the locker lid in stainless holders.All very neat
I don't normally use it as I am in fresh water but it so happens that I am using it at the moment for a reason.
Its very easy to lift the engine[joke] as its is only moving up a foot or so.
surprised Builder doesn't offer it as an accessory
If any one would like a picture I cold email one
Oak
Merlin
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby oak » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:34 pm

Put up a couple of pictures in Merlin mods
Oak
oak
CC19 Association Member