Varnish

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Varnish

Postby Matthew L » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:30 am

Hi, I recently bought Skylark and am new to the association, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about the best varnish to use on the mast and boom, it needs touching up in a few places and i was going to add a couple of coats. Many thanks. Matt
Matthew L
CC19 Association Member

Re: Varnish

Postby Dennis » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Hello Matthew

I have touched up or re-coated my mast/spars every winter since 2009. Honnor Marine used Dulux Exterior Varnish when the boat was new. I have tried many different brands/types over the years and there not much to choose between them. I have not suffered any peeling or flaking of the varnish with any of the brands I have used. The re-coating has always been to repair physical damage due to the inevitable knocks which the spars get especially during rigging and de-rigging etc.
Because I am happy to accept that some work will be needed at the end of every season It does not seem to matter which yacht varnish I use, the criteria I use are: Ease of application, drying time, availability, cost.
I have used Screwfix "No Nonsense Yacht Varnish" for the last three seasons and have found it as good as any. Another I have used previously and would happily use again is "Rustins Yacht Varnish".
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:09 pm

Epifanes has been my usual choice for spars for years - but Ive always spent too much on spit and polish ;) Its a good, longlasting varnish though. Whilst my Whammel gets nowhere near the weathering that Mary Ann gets, Ive not had to do any touching up for the last three seasons and the spars still look like new.

Gunwhales and deck timber get treated with Deks Olje - D1 and D2 for a gloss. It's excellent stuff, easy to apply but not as hard-wearing a finish as Epifanes.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:09 pm

By way of a contrast, I like Teamac. Nice golden colour for the spars. I usually varnish every other year.

Top tip: varnish when the temp is in double figures. September, before the weather changes; didn’t do mine this autumn though. If it’s a choice between getting the season started and varnishing, then sailing will win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:39 am

After we bought our CC19, eleven years ago, we removed all varnish by scraping and sanding. We did this because it is a lot of work to keep the vanish in good condition. We applied Owatrol Desk Olje D1. Yearly maintenance is only light sanding and applying some D1 on bad spots. I use only D1 and no D2 as advised by Owatrol. It is not that shiny as varnish but it saves a lot of time. "less maintenacen > more sailing". After eleven years of using D1 I see no degradation of the condition of mast/boom/gaff/bowsprit and tiller.

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/deks-olje-d1/
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:00 pm

I also use Owatrol Desk Olje D1 on the rubbing strake, toe rail and kingpost. I.E. all of the bits I cannot get into my garage to varnish. I find it particularly useful on the rubbing strip which is obviously subject to the most abuse, and is easily touched up using D1.

As I have previously said, all the spars and mast are removed from the boat during the winter and stored in my garage where there they can be worked on in warmth and comfort.

All I have to do now is work out how I can keep our two recently acquired kittens off the spars whilst the varnish is drying. :rolleyes:
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:22 am

I didn’t like the finish of D1. I too applied it to strakes, after laboriously removing the varnish. I have now sanded it off again and am currently using linseed oil instead. Back to varnish for the coach roof rails and Samson post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Matthew L » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks very much for your replies, a friend of mine suggested Le Tonkinois which I thought i would give a try once the weather improves.
Matt
Matthew L
CC19 Association Member

Postby oak » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:10 pm

I personally vote for International Schooner varnish based on tung oil.
I stripped my mast some years ago and used the 2 pack perfection.It may have been a coincidence but the mast rotted and I had to buy anew one.
Like a twerp I didn't research the market and bought solid one made by Collars/Honnoe when I could easily have purcahed a light weight one made as the orignal SA ones.To heavy to handle single handed.
oak
Merlin
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:44 pm

I have now used International wood skin on the rubbing strakes, roof rails and Samson post. It is a breathable treatment with some oil content. It is easy to lightly rub down each season and apply a top-up coat. Masts and spars are still with a Greek made varnish excellent and cheap (an unusual combination) made by Kraft verniki tis thallasa (varnish of sea) with UV filter. I guess for Greece they add plenty of UV filter and it is excellent. €11 for 750ml

Cheers

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Other Technical