Problems below the waterline

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

A few more problems below the waterline

Postby Chris Wicks » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Just back from a visit to the boatyard.

I decided the centre plate should be removed as she was up on the hoist to inspect inside the centre plate casing and replace the cable if necessary. I'm glad we did. There is some significant damage around the slot including a cracked section to one side of the slot opening. I have regularly noticed that lose pieces of gelcoat come away as I gently poke around with a scraper during annual antifouling prep where the boat is on the trailer.

I've had the boat from new so can account for any mishaps that could affect the boat. Many years ago whilst picking up crew by a beach a sudden ferry boat wake (Greek style tsunami) caught me by surprise and the boat made on big thump onto the ground. It was big enough for me to make an immediate underwater inspection and I could see no ill effect from the incident. It is the only possible cause of the crack that we have now discovered.

The centre plate casing is now being cleaned as far as possible, fibreglass repairs to be completed and epoxy treatment applied when the rest of the hull is done in about a week or so.

We plan to copper coat inside the casing as high as possible towards the waterline and also the centre plate itself. The boatyard thinks there is clearance for this to be OK. They are not sure (yet) how to replace the cable as there is a crimped fitting in the hole where it attaches to the centre plate and it looks difficult to access. The boat builder is suggesting Dyneema and we are yet to make a decision on this.

The guys working on Kaliope are wooden boat builders but their fibreglass work seems to be of a high standard. great guys Kostas and Lefteris and the boss Nikos at Reppos Traditional Boatyard. Any comments on any of the above received with interest.

I have included photos in the FB album, click here to take a look. http://www.facebook.com/pg/capecutter19 ... 8786169581

Cheers

Chris
Last edited by Chris Wicks on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Re: Problems below the waterline

Postby erbster » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:44 pm

The evidence vindicates your decision to remove the CP. You seem to have found the cause of your osmosis; I’ve looked at every CC I’ve come across and not noticed the osmosis symptoms you have reported.

I had always assumed the cable was like a bike cable and the “thin” end was threaded through the centre plate, so the crimped end was held captive, the free end being then led up through the casing to the drum.

Dyneema has very high tensile strength, but is there a risk of it being weakened by abrasion? (Cable can be replaced without removing centre plate, I believe).

Saw the pics on FB and I think you have certainly made a timely decision to have this work carried out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:29 pm

Today finally the Coppercoat is being applied, four coats in one day as the process requires. The centre plate was removed and minor damage around the slot made good. Also the leading edge of the rudder was reprofiled to prevent the occasional contact with the propellor and rudder. Coppercoat is being applied to the hull with a raised water line, the rudder and the centre plate. One Monday they will treat the four small contact areas where the boat is chocked up and finish any detailing. Then the abrading of the finished surface and replacement of the centre plate cable with dyneema. Hopefully, back on the water in about a weeks time. The total cost will be around €6000 all in. I'm happy with that. Here is a link to the album www.facebook.com/pg/capecutter19/photos ... tn__=-UC-R
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Saw the pics on FB. You’ll enjoy sailing her all the more, soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Hello Chris

Sounds like your hull is now going to be better than new. :)

You will appreciate it all the more when you are back on the water.

Happy sailing.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Kaliope's hull restoration - The outcome

Postby Chris Wicks » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:31 pm

I'm delighted with the works carried out on Kaliope. The raised waterline looks good and will be more suited to the warm waters of the Aegean sea. Here is a photo record of the outcome and Kaliope's relaunch today. (Featuring my new Suzuki Jimny. Not big enough for legal towing on road, but tough enough to launch her across a sandy beach). Happy days... www.facebook.com/christopher.wicks1/med ... 113&type=3

Chris and Kathryn
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Previous

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails