Steaming lights

Installation of instruments and electrics in the Cape Cutter 19

Steaming lights

Postby Greybeard » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Falcon came with a NASA tricolour LED masthead light, which would be fine when under sail, but I've decided to replace it with a NASA combination light (anchor/tricolour). Cleverly, this can be switched between the two modes depending on which way round you apply the current through an on-off-on switch.
However, this still leaves me with the issue of lights when under engine. The anchor light at the masthead is fine, but I need P/S lights too.
I had considered mounting the old tri-colour lamp up for'ard and masking off the rear facing white LEDs. The only thing is, the best positions for it, at the end of the bowsprit or on the stem leave it vulnerable to damage. I'd rig it so as to be removable when not needed. I'd thought about some sort of temporary mounting on the coachroof, but that could leave it partly obscured from ahead by the furled staysail/jib.
How has anyone else approached the problem? I've looked at the various LED cabin-side mounted lamps but you don't get a feel for the quality/durability on a pooter screen picture. Is there a lamp of choice that others have used?

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Greybeard wrote:How has anyone else approached the problem?
Steve

Hello Steve,
I had the same questions. But I installed only an all-round white light on the mast-top.
This is in compliance with the rules in the Netherlands and with COLREG because a CC19 is less then 7 meters in length.
See also rules 23 and 25 of The Merchant Shipping (Distress Signals and Prevention of Collisions) Regulations 1996. http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/msn_1781-2.pdfhttp://

Bert
Zimp CC19 #004
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks, Bert.
That little proviso at the end of Rule 23d (ii) could be an issue if things did go wrong ;)

[color="Red"](ii) a power-driven vessel of less than 7 metres in length whose maximum speed does not
exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an
all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights;[/color]

(My highlighting) I would read that as you may have a 'get out' if the type of vessel means that fitting them wouldn't be practicable - perhaps an open boat or a boat where the design was such that they couldn't easily be fitted. ;)

Steve (wot may be being too cautious)
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:30 am

Greybeard wrote:Thanks, Bert.
That little proviso at the end of Rule 23d (ii) could be an issue if things did go wrong ;)

[color="Red"](ii) a power-driven vessel of less than 7 metres in length whose maximum speed does not
exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an
all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights;[/color]

(My highlighting) I would read that as you may have a 'get out' if the type of vessel means that fitting them wouldn't be practicable - perhaps an open boat or a boat where the design was such that they couldn't easily be fitted. ;)

Steve (wot may be being too cautious)

Hallo Steve,

I've had the same thoughts. But I could not find a place for the sidelights on my cc19 that will not interfere with sheets or quays. So I decided the sidelights to be impracticable. ;)
The rules in the Netherlands however don't mention the sidelights but a hand held light, this can be any flashlight.

Bert
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:14 pm

I have come to the same conclusion.

I use a masthead tricolour when sailing, and the masthead all round white for motoring.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:05 pm

That means I'll have a spare switch now with nowt to use it for :confused:

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:22 am

Greybeard wrote:That means I'll have a spare switch now with nowt to use it for :confused:

Radar?
Bow Thruster?:)
Bert
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:41 pm

I decided to take a punt and but a pair of Evoled navigation lights with a stainless steel cover. I got them off the infamous ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151195201308?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:ITamp;_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

(other auction sites are available!). I must say that I'm impressed with the build quality and they fit on the side of the cabin very neatly with the wires dropping into the cupboards. I found a couple of well repaired holes in the right place on either side of Falcon, so she's maybe had them before. They sit well inside of the rubbing strakes and just forward of the shroud plates so should be fairly well protected.
Not the best pics in the world as Falcon is still in her winter plumage - blue tarp over the canvas cover so it was released only enough to get access.

Now, does anyone want a NASA Superterranova tricolour LED masthead light with mounting bracket? £35 posted (UK, that is ;-) ) I seem to have one going spare.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby ColinMcD » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi Steve -

We are obviously thinking along similar lines ...

I went last week and browsed a local chandlery and came away with a pair very like the ones you've fitted, only I've gone for a black (plastic) case. Same sort of price, and probably - apart from case material - sane sort of quality.

http://www.marineshop.no/Navigasjon-og-Elektronikk/Lanterner/Lanterner-LED/Lantesett-LED-styrbord-babord--Sort--107564-p0000083036

I'm casting gently about for a stern light, and then a masthead light. Foxglove had no electrics, but Bob is fitting her out for us with battery and circuit panel for lighting and suchlike.

COLIN
ColinMcD
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:06 pm

It's taken quite a while to rewire Falcon - it was all working fine when I got her but not installed tidily enough for me ;-)
I've made up a new switch box in iroko (that I had available) using the original switch panels that were tucked away under the cockpit floor so were a nightmare to get to. It's all now on the starboard side cabin bulkhead with the main loom running through flexible conduit and the rest neatly encased in spiral wrapping.
This is the early stages of the installation- it's neatened up now with an extra two way switch for the masthead light (anchor/tricolour)

I've added two more matching cabin lights and replaced all the bulbs with LEDs. I've also run a new charging circuit to the cockpit for the engine and a spare waterproof 12v socket for occasional fishfinder use or whatever else needs a power source out there.
Quite a few hours work all told, but what else is there to do over winter?
I'm now wondering about fitting detachable panels to close off the under cockpit area which would also prevent things like sleeping bags and their occupants rolling into the bilges! I thought about using uPVC cladding panels (to save having to paint them white!) which would also be quite light too.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Instruments and Electrics