Honda 2.3

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

Honda 2.3

Postby Chris Wicks » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:09 am

Has anyone ever tried a 2.3 Honda in a CC19?

Although I have a good Mercury 6 I am toying with the idea of a Honda 2.3 for use just on and off the mooring or for short distances. There are no strong currents here so the attraction is to keep it in the cabin and only deploy it occasionally as necessary. Air cooled is an advantage, noise a disadvantage, but it's use will be minimal.

It has to be turned 180 degrees to reverse. I think this may prove impossible as the prop may foul the hull?

That is my reason for asking, has anyone ever tried one?

Cheers

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Honda 2.3

Postby erbster » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:42 pm

I used a small outboard in Scotland (it was lent to me when Henry Honda let me down). It was fine in the light calm conditions I experienced in that trip. I have also used my dinghy motor and the power was ok, but the inability to reverse very nearly got me into a lot of trouble!! You are quite right, it cannot be reversed but I didn’t realise until I was committed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Re: Honda 2.3

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:26 am

Thanks Charles,

I picked up a very clean and hardly used (2012) Yamaha 2.5 yesterday. It had sat in a shed as a non-starter. After a carburettor strip down and clean it runs very nicely and looks like new. But it cannot be used in reverse on Kaliope, as I cannot resist a bargain it is now added to the o/b inventory. I have also ordered a 3D 200 lightweight inflatable (19kg) as an occasional tender so the 2.5 could come in handy for our Aegean far-flung adventures!

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:37 pm

I had fondly hoped I could leave the 5hp ashore and use the 1.5 to get onto the mooring and then bring the tender back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:50 am

Hello. Now being an ex-sailor I don't drop in very often but noticed this thread. I used a 2.5 4-stroke Suzuki for a while on Kielder until I let it go with my Drascombe and it was fine for manoeuvring on and off jetties etc. I thought it was a cracking little engine. Yes, it was 'steady away' if pushing into a head wind but what's the rush? As a bonus I found that the boat sailed noticeably quicker without having to drag a big prop along and the stern sat higher out of the water. It was much lighter to lift in and out of the boat than the 5hp Honda lump and merely sipped fuel.
I have had a 2.3 Honda that I tried on the Drascombe but soon got fed up of sitting next to a noisy lawnmower engine! The automatic clutch also precluded crawling along with the engine ticking over.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:51 am

Thanks Steve for your input. We are thinking along the same lines. So my good as new 2.5 Yamaha is now part of Kaliope's inventory. Most of our season is sailing around in circles (for a few hours at a time) from swinging moorings. We often sail on and off the mooring but need an engine on standby as space to correct a mistake is limited. Also in the Aegean we use a stern anchor regularly when moored off a beach or jetty. So you pull the boat into deep water before needing to apply any power. If you can find an excuse to be in our neck of the woods you are welcome to sail Kaliope or the Whammel, Cockle.
Cheers
Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Return to Everything about Engines