37Kg too heavy?

The dreaded Iron Top Sail we sometimes have to rely on.....

37Kg too heavy?

Postby Nick Mair » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:32 pm

Hi, Just bought "Iris," a 2010 CC19. Beautiful boat and great potential for fun. she's laying in Poole harbour at this time.
Can anyone comment on engines please.
I want electric start and the only small one I can find is a Tohatsu 6hp (MFS6Z SS) which weighs 37Kg. Is that too heavy? Further complication is for only £0.20 more (yes 20p) I can get the 8hp at exactly the same weight and shaft length; ie the same chassis, the carburettor just opens wider.
Any comments neg or pos appreciated.
Thanks
Nick Mair
Nick Mair
CC19 Association Member

Re: 37Kg too heavy?

Postby Dennis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:48 am

Hello Nick

The first point I would make is that the boat is "plated" for RCD classs C with a stated maximum weight of engine of 25Kg. :(

Having said that many (most?) boats have engines which exceed this figure if only marginally. Indeed, when I bought my boat Honnor Marine were recommending a 5HP Honda as the perfect match, it weighs 27 Kg.

I do know of a couple of CC19s (Zimp and Falcon) that are (or have been) fitted with the early Honda 6 Hp motor, which was twin cylinder, and I think tipped the scales at 37Kg. These engines are beautifully smooth and the boat seems to cope with the weight.
These larger engines usually have larger props which are great for pushing the boat through the water, but they generate more drag when sailing, swings and roundabouts I suppose!

Trailing the boat with a heavier motor mounted on the boat, will put considerable strain on the mounting bracket on rough road surfaces, You may also find it difficult to achieve sufficient nose weight on the trailer for stable towing. Although this can be addressed by moving the trailer axle further aft on the trailer, as I have done with my HM trailer. But that is a different matter.

Finally, 37 Kg is quite a weight to be lifting in and out of the boat when you need to remove/replace the engine. I find 27 Kg enough of a struggle.

I like the idea of an electric start, but in reality I do not need it, my Honda 5 starts second pull when cold and first pull when warm.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Nick Mair » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your input.

I had a chat with Bob @ HM and he brought up the subject of trim and that I might be able to cancel out the weight difference by locating the battery well forward.

I need to weigh a suitable battery next.

I take your point and would propose towing with engine in car boot for that reason. I have an old Honda 100 (9.9HP) which I have lugged around in the past and that must be at least 37Kg, though I can see difficulties ahead having to lift that much weight up and into or and out of Iris. I think I'll weigh the honda and if similar weight I'll take it to Poole next weekend and see how practical it is. A large foam wrap around the engine skeg will be added first to make it less efficient at cutting holes in GRP!

thanks

Nick

Dennis wrote:Hello Nick

The first point I would make is that the boat is "plated" for RCD classs C with a stated maximum weight of engine of 25Kg. :(

Having said that many (most?) boats have engines which exceed this figure if only marginally. Indeed, when I bought my boat Honnor Marine were recommending a 5HP Honda as the perfect match, it weighs 27 Kg.

I do know of a couple of CC19s (Zimp and Falcon) that are (or have been) fitted with the early Honda 6 Hp motor, which was twin cylinder, and I think tipped the scales at 37Kg. These engines are beautifully smooth and the boat seems to cope with the weight.
These larger engines usually have larger props which are great for pushing the boat through the water, but they generate more drag when sailing, swings and roundabouts I suppose!

Trailing the boat with a heavier motor mounted on the boat, will put considerable strain on the mounting bracket on rough road surfaces, You may also find it difficult to achieve sufficient nose weight on the trailer for stable towing. Although this can be addressed by moving the trailer axle further aft on the trailer, as I have done with my HM trailer. But that is a different matter.

Finally, 37 Kg is quite a weight to be lifting in and out of the boat when you need to remove/replace the engine. I find 27 Kg enough of a struggle.

I like the idea of an electric start, but in reality I do not need it, my Honda 5 starts second pull when cold and first pull when warm.
Nick Mair
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi Nick.

I agree with Dennis. I have a Honda who too. I would definitely not tow with the engine in place (though I have done in the past). Why is an electric start so important to you?
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:13 pm

When i bought Falcon, she came with a 6hp Honda (which can be derestricted to 9/10hp by a simple carb tweak, as discovered by the chap I sold it to). Falcon had been towed for many years with the engine in situ with no ill effects. However, I had no intention of leaving her at the sailing club with the engine as a temptation. It didnt take long to replace the 6hp with a 5hp Honda. The 6hp was a much nicer engine than the 5hp, though far too heavy to be lifting in and out of the boat. There was also a noticeable drag when sailing - I couldnt keep anywhere near Mary Ann. I did try her with a new 4 stroke 2.5hp Suzuki that was on my Drascombe at the time and it was fine in still waters. It may be asking a bit much in tidal conditions though :rolleyes: What was noticeable was how much quicker the boat was with only a tiny egg whisk poking through the hull.
It is unfortunate that none of the manufacturers regard any engine of 5hp or less as little more than a tender motor and have no interest in making one smooth and quiet. Until they do, we are destined to share a cockpit with a noisy and vibratory conversation killer if the convenience of internal combustion is needed. Until they do it is very much a matter of paying your money and taking your chance. My choice was to go for spinal preservation :)
Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby seasickwhale » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi Nick,

the same topic was discussed just recently under "Board index ‹ General ‹ General Chat - New Members" - see
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=644
Happy Sailing

Stephan Radke
CC52 "Herr Nilsson"
seasickwhale
CC19 Association Member

Return to Everything about Engines