New member old boat

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Re: New member old boat

Postby Lee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:44 am

Tony Treen wrote:Lee, Welcome to the Cape Cutter community! You will have some superb experiences to look forward to.

The CC manual has has a list of halliards, sheets, etc, but this gives colours and diameters, not lengths. Did your boat not come with sheets and halliards to use as templates to measure?

I have attached pdfs of the boat and trailer manuals to this message, which should help you with the boat in general. I scanned these from the manual I received when I bought my CC from the previous owner.

I keep Wadudu on a swinging mooring during the season and do not use a boat cover, apart from the sailcover around the mainsail and boom. She is ashore over winter, when she is completely stripped of all internal furnishings and spars, and then covered with a standard boat cover. I do not use the cover when towing, my reasons being possible extra drag, and damage to the hull from flapping canvas or rope.

Hopefully another member will be able to help with cleaning advice, I must admit to being rather lax in that respect, with a pressure wash followed by detergent rub.

Written in haste on Christmas morning, Merry Christmas to all CC Association members. 2021 can only get better.

Tony Treeen
Wadudu #115

Hi Tony

Thanks for these manuals they are invaluable! I received what I thought was the manual but it is in no way as detailed as this.
I need to replace some lines and this gives me most of the info i need :D

Thanks again!
Lee
CC19 Association Member

Postby Lee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:11 pm

Thank you for all your advice, photos, manuals and invites Tony, Charles and Dennis. :)

I have bought starbrite cleaning products and will persevere with those and if I don't get any joy I will try the Boatsheen products.
I have washed all the cushion covers and they have come up brand new :D
I have yet to pick up the trailer which has had a brand new heavier axle fitted. the previous owner said he had problems with water getting into the light units when dunking them in the water. i suppose a lighting board is the easiest solution..... :confused:
Do we think the Solent rally 29th May - 5th Jun 21!! will go ahead :confused:
I would love to join you all on the Aegean adventure but alas I still have 5 years until I retire, but then it will be the BIG SAIL :D

Thank you again for your replies and advice

I wish you all a happy new year for 2021, with more sailing, more freedom, and cleaner brighter boats! :D
Lee
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:16 am

Lee, you are of course welcome to copy the cover idea.

I am very much hoping/expecting that vaccine rollout will mean that by late spring the restrictions will lift and participation in events like our rally become a personal choice.

As for the Aegean idea, I am not retired but planning to take Aurora out to Greece for 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:47 am

Welcome Lee,

I can add some comments about hull polishing etc. My boat is based in the Aegean for 15 years and spends all summer afloat. She looks a bit tired by the end of the season and like new after a day of restoration work. After several different products I ended up with Farecla. This was based on extensive testing by the Shrimper owners.

https://www.farecla.com/product_categor ... finishing/ These are great quality products that I buy online from East Coast Fibreglass as they have the full range on their site.

I use a polisher and the flexible backing by Farecla. It is very flexible and really helps achieve a good finish. I use the wool polishing mop and finish by hand with microfibre cloths. I use their no 2 'Profile finish compound' and the no 3 boat polish. For a more severe bloom you might use there no 1 liquid compound as a one off, it is not so harsh don't worry! It works so well you'd think I'm an agent for them but I'm not just very happy after varied results previously.

Maybe in another 15 years I will polish my way through the gelcoat. Oh well I'll be 80 and the boat 30 by then. I'll have her hull professionally painted! 15 years of sailing fun after years of chartering, dinghies, RYA exams and so forth. I ran aground on my RYA Coastal Skipper exam at night in November on the Bramble bank c 1995. Trying to find the unlit marker using back bearings etc. It was blowing about f4. I suggested to the examiner that it would be prudent to make the approach under power. But this is a sailing exam was the reply. I just caught the edge of the bank. I got the boat off without panic (not that the examiner could see anyway) and went on to pass the exam. Now I never sail in less than about 80 meters, unless I'm approaching the beach! Happy sailing! Perhaps you'll join the Aegean adventure in '22

Best wishes

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Lee » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:15 pm

Chris Wicks wrote:Welcome Lee,

https://www.farecla.com/product_categor ... finishing/ These are great quality products that I buy online from East Coast Fibreglass as they have the full range on their site.

Best wishes

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for the advice and link, I'm sure with all the help from you guys KIra's hull will come up like new :D

Lee

Kira #23
Lee
CC19 Association Member

Postby Andrew Scullion » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:08 am

erbster wrote:Here a couple of photos showing the rain cover I made. It's job is to provide some outside storage of wet gear when sleeping aboard and protection of the hatch area when on her mooring. It is thrown over the boom (I have to unclip the lazyjacks and peak halyard) and held in place with bungee coard loops around hooks screwed into the underside of the wooden strakes. This may give you some ideas - I had it made by a sailmaker, but it would be easy enough to make if you had a heavy duty sewing machine or the patience for hand stitching.

As an alternative to Charles' boom tent, I discovered a Vango tent flysheet which is almost perfect for a Cape Cutter.
You have to make a minor modification cutting one of the tension straps to prevent it from crossing the cockpit.
The tent is pitched under the boom which must be raised to about 50 degrees on the topping lift to give it the clearance needed.
The result is excellent, providing an almost standing height in a dry cockpit and room above the companionway.

1 (2).jpg

2 (2).jpg

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15906213/v ... t-15906213
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew Scullion
CC19 Association Member

Boat cover

Postby Donald » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:18 pm

IMG_8733 (1).jpeg
I, too, have found a Vango (Meteor 300) flysheet that serves well, with the advantage that it is small and light for stowing.

I received a new Honor Marine blue canvas boom tent when I bought Cape Whisper off the previous owner, but have never used it due to its size when folded - I tend to use the tent when I am touring with quite a lot of kit vying for space in the cabin. If you still want a robust boom tent then I would be prepared to part with it for a consideration. Direct message me if interested.

Here is a photo of my Vango
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Donald
CC19 Association Member

Postby Lee » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:28 am

Andrew Scullion wrote:
erbster wrote:Here a couple of photos showing the rain cover I made. It's job is to provide some outside storage of wet gear when sleeping aboard and protection of the hatch area when on her mooring. It is thrown over the boom (I have to unclip the lazyjacks and peak halyard) and held in place with bungee coard loops around hooks screwed into the underside of the wooden strakes. This may give you some ideas - I had it made by a sailmaker, but it would be easy enough to make if you had a heavy duty sewing machine or the patience for hand stitching.

As an alternative to Charles' boom tent, I discovered a Vango tent flysheet which is almost perfect for a Cape Cutter.
You have to make a minor modification cutting one of the tension straps to prevent it from crossing the cockpit.
The tent is pitched under the boom which must be raised to about 50 degrees on the topping lift to give it the clearance needed.
The result is excellent, providing an almost standing height in a dry cockpit and room above the companionway.

1 (2).jpg

2 (2).jpg

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15906213/v ... t-15906213

Wow! I have similar tent, l'll try it,
Thanks for the heads up :)
Lee
CC19 Association Member

New member old boat

Postby Matthew L » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:25 am

Donald wrote:
IMG_8733 (1).jpeg
I, too, have found a Vango (Meteor 300) flysheet that serves well, with the advantage that it is small and light for stowing.

I received a new Honor Marine blue canvas boom tent when I bought Cape Whisper off the previous owner, but have never used it due to its size when folded - I tend to use the tent when I am touring with quite a lot of kit vying for space in the cabin. If you still want a robust boom tent then I would be prepared to part with it for a consideration. Direct message me if interested.

Here is a photo of my Vango
Hi Donald I’m thinking of buying a vango tent is your one the meteor pro 300. Does it attach to the boat ok and do you think it would work ok in a breeze?
Many thanks
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matthew L
CC19 Association Member

Postby Tony Treen » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:40 am

Have finally put up the before and after photos of Wadudu's gelcoat painting. The blooming had been getting worse, so was going to polish out at the end of the season. But also... I had a chain mooring strop, which was held down over the bow roller with a large R-clip through the anchor retaining pin holes. However, forgot to do this one day in August last year on recovering the mooring, and we had very strong winds and chop in the estuary a couple of days later. Of course the chain jumped off the roller, hence the curved scratches around the bow (now have a rope strop). So, decided on painting.

Trouts Boatyard, in Topsham, painted with Epifan two part epoxy indoors in a temperature controlled environment. They also repaired some minor dings in the gelcoat. Colour is not exactly the same, but what a difference! Apparently, also, the epoxy is not so susceptible to blooming, will have to let time tell. Trouts is also where I crane in, and can thoroughly recommend them, always friendly and helpful.
Tony Treen
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat