Bob Brown, Honnor Marine

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Bob Brown, Honnor Marine

Postby chrisr » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:15 am

Saw this on the Drascombe site yesterday, and thought this forum should be made aware.
Very sadly, we have learned today of the death of Bob Brown, former Managing Director of Honnor Marine in Rochdale.
Bob and his wife Norma sold me my first boat, a brand new Devon Lugger. It was such a pleasure dealing with them and the boat was absolutely fantastic. After my first sail, during which time the rudder stock slipped through the rudder bearings and down to the bed of the River Orwell, he sent me a free replacement rudder stock within a few days. When I needed a few bits of warranty work done, he arranged to meet me with the boat at a halfway point, and, once the work was done, he delivered the boat back to me in Cambridgeshire. It was that personal touch that marked him out as a true gentleman.
He did wonders for the promotion of John Watkinson designs particularly in the north of the UK. I also greatly admired his Cape Cutter boats which seemed stunning (albeit just a little too heavy for single-handlers such as myself).
I think he did a quite remarkable job with Honnor Marine and thoroughly deserved a long and happy retirement after passing on the enterprise to Tim in Swanage. Sadly, that retirement has been cut tragically short, Bob becoming yet another victim of COVID-19.

My sincere condolences to Norma and family at this truly devastating time.

I feel sure that other members will wish to record their memories of Bob.
I have had few personal interchanges with Bob Brown, but would add my condolences.
chrisr
Non Association Member

Re: Bob Brown, Honnor Marine

Postby erbster » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:31 pm

Bob will be remembered very fondly by many of us who bought our Cape Cutters from Honnor Marine. He and Norma were responsible for moving production from South Africa to the UK. Although Rochdale is a perhaps an unlikely place to set up a boat building business, his production run resulted in well over 70 boats, now bringing joy to sailor all across the UK, Ireland and the rest of the EU and a few even further afield. He will be remembered for his enthusiasm and attention to detail; Bob was always ready to answer any conceivable query about the Cape Cutter, frequently providing replacement parts free of charge. He was a strong supporter of the Class Association and enjoyed participating in the 2015 rally. Bob and Norma's well-deserved retirement together has been sadly cut short and I pass my deep condolences to Norma and his family.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat