Burgee/Flag arrangements

Improvements and solutions

Burgee/Flag arrangements

Postby Andy Yates » Tue May 09, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm currently flying my association burgee from my Starboard shroud by an "adhoc" arrangement and I would like to set up a more permanent arrangement . How have you guys set up yours ?

Andy
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Re: Burgee/Flag arrangements

Postby Tony Treen » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:32 am

Andy,

I fly mine on a halyard on the port side - according to the RYA Flag Etiquette page - https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice ... uette.aspx

I have a small block attached to the port shroud fitting at the masthead, with a 3mm halyard simply tied off to the toe rail. Have seen similar methods with a cleat fitted to the toe rail.

Cheers, Tony Treen
Tony Treen
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Tony Treen wrote:Andy,

I fly mine on a halyard on the port side - according to the RYA Flag Etiquette page - https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice ... uette.aspx

I have a small block attached to the port shroud fitting at the masthead, with a 3mm halyard simply tied off to the toe rail. Have seen similar methods with a cleat fitted to the toe rail.

Cheers, Tony Treen

About the same solution o/b Zimp but we use a shroud cleat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:55 pm

Tony Treen wrote:Andy,

Cheers, Tony Treen

I have a similar arrangement. I drilled through the hounds on the port side and attached a block. My burgee(s) are flown on the port side and tied off to a cleat screwed to the rail on the roof.

Charles Erb CC19 #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 pm

If I may resurrect this string (no pun intended) to raise some flag questions ....
1 - I have not had an Association pennant/burger previously, but I’d like to put on a good show at the OGA event in June, so is it still possible to buy one? I see some were made to order a few years back. Any left?
2 - I also want to be able to dress Rondo overall in Yarmouth - looking at some of the OGA photos of past events, they evidently put on a good show. I see Nauticalia do a string of flags about the right length. I’ve enquired if they are in the conventional order - I was told they have 40 flags, all the letters and numbers but in ‘random order’. Does any one have any other particular recommended sources for pre-strung flags?
3 - the flags for dressing overall should go to the masthead rather than the hounds. I hope to devise a method to use one halyard for both purposes, following approx the line of the port side shroud and using one of the deck level arrangements discussed in this thread. At the masthead a tiny block might be bent on with a form of whipping or hitch, and a soft shackle to avoid more screw holes or chaffing on the mast.
Has anyone any other tips for this ? How do others hoist dressing flags? I want to make sure there is no possibility of snagging the gaff jaws when lowering the gaff, as this can already happen with my lazy jacks modification and mis-shapen jaws.

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby zimp » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:17 pm

We use a pig-stick or burgee staff o/b Zimp as well.
For an example see

http://www.eventides.org.uk/burgee.htm

Unfortunately no picture of Zimp with this arrangement
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:21 pm

Thankyou. That looks very smart. And it would fly the burgee above the mast top rather than below the hounds.

What arrangement do you have to cleat off the lower end of the (presumably continuous) burgee halyard?
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby zimp » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:56 am

Malcolm Sadler wrote:Thankyou. That looks very smart. And it would fly the burgee above the mast top rather than below the hounds.

What arrangement do you have to cleat off the lower end of the (presumably continuous) burgee halyard?

a cleat like this:

https://www.svb24.com/en/flag-halyard-cleat.html
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:54 pm

Many thanks.

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby bellalistair » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:58 pm

Sorry Malcolm, I wrote a response to this at the beginning of the week but it isn't here... Wonderful things computers...

Yes we still have a supply of burgees, though they've been popular these last months! £12.50 posted or I'll (try and remember to) bring some to the rally. Drop me a line with your address and money to the CC19 account if you'd like one posting.

Alistair
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Modifications