Front mounted tow bars

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

Front mounted tow bars

Postby Greybeard » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Apologies to those already aware of these devices.
http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/front_towbars.html
I have just ordered one for my VW T5. Some time ago I made one that utilized the screw-in towing eye of the van. The Germans cunningly made it with a very coarse left-hand thread to discourage other fittings, but didn't count on those with access to a screw-cutting lathe ;)
Whilst I was happy to use it for moving the Drascombe about, I thought I'd better fit something more substantial for holding Falcon on a steep slipway!
If you've never used one, they are an absolute revelation. It's possible to drop the boat into the narrowest of gaps with ease. We use one on the tractor up at Kielder for putting the RIBs back into the containers with only inches to spare either side. Just the job for pushing a CC into a driveway.

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:11 pm

Just a quick update, folks. I ordered the towbar at lunchtime on Wednesday and asked for an additional central mounting point to be added, which they said they could do that afternoon. The bar arrived on Thursday morning! Terrific service.
I fitted the bar this morning in about 2 1/2 hours or so. Most of the time was taken up with removing the full front bumper and grille off the van and finding all the hidden screws/bolts :rolleyes:

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Watling Front mounted Towbar

Postby David Peck » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:51 pm

I have used one on my Freelander 2's for several years now (with central and offset position).

They are a godsend to someone who is not very good at manoeuvring a trailer in reverse!

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi David

I'm a new member expecting to take delivery of a CC19 in April.

I also have a Freelander 2. Does the front tow bar show very much when the ball is removed and does the fitting involve any cutting. I can see it would be very useful in tight spaces.

Paul
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Return to Trailers and Towing