How to rig for towing - the mast

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

How to rig for towing - the mast

Postby Killick Greenie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi All, I've seen photos of the bracket people have made for the transom to support the mast when towing. Does anyone have some close ups of what how you secure the mast at the tabernacle please.

Thanks
KG
Killick Greenie
Non Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Look at my blog: http://travellingaurora.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/pre-season-maintenance-2/

The mast is laid onto the tabernacle, protected from damage by a collar made from a piece of drainpipe. The mast is secured by being tied down with the main sheet at the stern and with another rope across the bow cleats.

Hope that helps
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Killick Greenie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Thank you Charles. That's a really nice blog you have there. I'm planning to launch on the Orwell this weekend so hopefully I will be able to get everything made and ready to go.
Cheers
Killick Greenie
Non Association Member

Postby seasickwhale » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:49 am

Hi Dave,

have a look at
http://www.capecutter19association.org/forum/album.php?albumid=16
There you can see simple mast supports for the tabernacle and samson post.

For some reason old albums do not show any more in the album list. You will only be able to access those through a known link (or - if you know who posted s.th. - via the members' list). This is a known problem, for which there seems to be no solution.
Happy Sailing

Stephan Radke
CC52 "Herr Nilsson"
seasickwhale
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:32 am

Hi Dave

I think we all do it differently. Charles's is nearest to mine, but I've improved the rear support from the one he 'shamelessly copied'. There's a picture of my new one in the Gallery. The starting point for me was that the mast rests in the tabernacle. Get some 4" plastic underground drainpipe, 8 - 10" long is perfect. Cut a 2" wide slot down the length and it will snap around the mast and protect it when in the tabernacle. I leave the mainsail rigged to the boom and gaff in the cover, then strap to the mast. Tie down the mast at each end.

I'm going down to Zephyr today and will get some better picture of my arrangement.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Hello Dave and welcome.

I used to protect the mast resting on the tabernacle with a carpet "sample". I have loads of these, every time my boat passes through the hands of Honnor Marine it comes back with another set. HM obviously get them for "free" from a local carpet emporium. ;)

However, nowadays I have gone all sophisticated. :D

When I drop the mast into my homemade mast crutch, I then remove the tabernacle bolt, lift the mast out of the way for a moment (very light as most of the weight is being taken by the mast crutch) then replace the tabenacle bolt with a rubber Vee roller in situ. The mast then rests on the rubber roller, This makes it easy to slide the mast forward without causing any damage to the varnish etc. the mast rests on this roller during transit, being tied down for and aft.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Dennis wrote:...then replace the tabenacle bolt with a rubber Vee roller in situ. The mast then rests on the rubber roller, This makes it easy to slide the mast forward without causing any damage to the varnish etc. the mast rests on this roller during transit, being tied down for and aft.

Genius! Dennis strikes again! Picture please. :D
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:46 pm

I have just hauled out today. Boat now in drive but I have already raised the mast, so roller no longer there. :(

Off to Friesland on Sunday, will try to remember to take photo when the mast is ready for transit.

The roller cost under £2. Bought from Indespension shop in Carlisle. Same shape as keel rollers on HM trailer but only 90 mm long.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Killick Greenie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi everyone and thank you for the replies. I'm on the case.
Cheers
Killick Greenie
Non Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:19 am

I was out with Zephyr this past weekend, so took the opportunity to make a simple video of her travelling arrangements. I've already adopted Dennis's tabernacle roller, a most excellent improvement - but I've kept the plastic pipe to protect the mast from a point load.

All halyards are taped together and stuffed into the small rucksack which hangs on the stern support. The shrouds and forestay are taped to the mast. I tried leaving stuff connected, but it causes more grief than it saves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUr2DloSB_o
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Trailers and Towing