Friesland 2012

Recommended places to take your Cape Cutter 19 with details of anchorages, marinas etc

Friesland 2012

Postby Dennis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Here is an account of our holiday in Friesland with our capecutter 19 "Mary Ann".

Because of the limitations on (upload) file size I have had to split it into three separate files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:20 pm

Great to see someone else's log for a change. I'm getting bored of mine and Charles's. :D

Some of it looks very similar to the Norfolk Broads. I didn't realise it was so 'inland'. Was that because of your crew?

Thanks for sharing it.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Ru88ell wrote:Some of it looks very similar to the Norfolk Broads. I didn't realise it was so 'inland'. Was that because of your crew?

Yes, it is like the Norfolk Broads but much, much larger.

The crew prefers the water to be flat(ish), the wind to be F0 and the temp to be 30C+. The inland waterways come nearer to these conditions.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Friesland

Postby seasickwhale » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:51 am

Hi Dennis,

looks like you had lots of fun. It is a wonderful (if a bit uneventful) cruising ground. I know the place well, as I took my practical (for my German certificate) in Gaastmeer. We have sailed hundreds of miles there since.

If you are ever in Gaastmeer again, go round the other side (turn north after the little canal on the way to Oudega from the Heeger Meer) and you will find a really good restaurant just behind the "lifting bridge that doesn't lift" - very advisable.
Happy Sailing

Stephan Radke
CC52 "Herr Nilsson"
seasickwhale
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:11 am

Hello Stephan

We did enjoy ourselves. So much, that we are planning to return next year. Probably during July again. :)

Thanks for the restaurant tip.

You never know, someday we could have a capecutter rally there, Bert (Zimp) also frequents the Friesland waterways.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Dennis wrote:You never know, someday we could have a capecutter rally there, Bert (Zimp) also frequents the Friesland waterways.

Sounds like an offer to organise it! Maybe 2014 as Morbihan won't be on.

I'd be interested. I might sail over. :D
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Hello Dennis,

That's a nice story about sailing in Friesland! It is the area we sail. Most of the place you visited we do visit several times a year. Our holiday this year was just after your trip, temperature was lower and there was a lot of rain and wind. But that's what we like about Friesland, it looks different every time. If you want to come back next year you can go further to the north to the Eernewoude (Earnewald in Frysk) area, the environment is different there, much more trees (but not to much :-) ). You can also go to the IJsselmeer, via the locks of Stavoren or Workom. There al lot of small cities around the IJsselmeer. But because the waves on the IJsselmeer we plan our trips there with an average speed of about 2.5 knots.
But in Friesland there is much more to see! We sail in Friesland for about forty year and it never gets boring. May we can meet next year. We will be sailing there during the weekends and in August.

Regards,

Bert

CC19 #04, Zimp

I'll place some more photos from Friesland in the pictures area of this forum
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 am

Hello Bert

Thanks for the comments.

We will return next year, although nothing is arranged yet.

We would be delighted to meet up with you, if it could be arranged. The crew and I are retired so are flexible on when we visit, but we like to book the ferry early to get a good "deal".

I like the photos, just like being on holiday again.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Return to Cruising Areas