Beaching legs

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Beaching legs

Postby Ru88ell » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:39 pm

You know what's coming next don't you? :D

Has anyone done this yet? I know someone's done it with a Shrimper:-

http://www.shrimperowners.org/sitefiles/Beaching_Legs.pdf

I've spent three nights on the beach so far, and it's not great. Each time Zephyr was at a ridiculous angle, which made being in her difficult, and cooking quite a challenge despite having a gimbel on the stove. I think legs are the answer.

Does anyone else want any?
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Look a very neat job, I'm interested if you're planning a "production run".
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Alternative to beaching legs

Postby SimonW » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:17 am

Something I had thought of, but yet another heavy chunk of weight and something to stow on a small boat with small cockpit lockers.

An alternative which some shrimper owners do is to rig up a permanently tied couple of lines and then attache two fenders in parallel under the boat ( think rope ladder ). Before the boat drys you lead the lines front and back and fasten to the handrail on each side per markings. As the boat drys she settles on the keelson and the fender either side. Ideally these correspond to having the fenders tucked in on the inboard side of the bilge runners and the diameter of the fenders is sufficient to keep the boat bolt upright.

It sounds fiddly, but once the lines are measured and loops tied it takes a couple of minutes to set up. Obviously it depends on the shape of the hull as to the fenders and distances, but you will have the fenders on board anyway, the lines are light and cheap and it involves no more modifications to the boat.

Simples
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:49 am

SimonW wrote:Something I had thought of, but yet another heavy chunk of weight and something to stow on a small boat with small cockpit lockers.

An alternative which some shrimper owners do is to rig up a permanently tied couple of lines and then attache two fenders in parallel under the boat ( think rope ladder ). Before the boat drys you lead the lines front and back and fasten to the handrail on each side per markings. As the boat drys she settles on the keelson and the fender either side. Ideally these correspond to having the fenders tucked in on the inboard side of the bilge runners and the diameter of the fenders is sufficient to keep the boat bolt upright.

It sounds fiddly, but once the lines are measured and loops tied it takes a couple of minutes to set up. Obviously it depends on the shape of the hull as to the fenders and distances, but you will have the fenders on board anyway, the lines are light and cheap and it involves no more modifications to the boat.

Simples

I like this idea. I had thought of wedging something under, but this seems do-able. I'll aim to try that...
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Return to Other Technical