Rubbing Strake removal

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Re: Rubbing Strake removal

Postby erbster » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:09 pm

I had the opposite problem- the nuts were visible inside, but the bolt would spin when I tried to tighten the nuts, so I had I take some plugs out of the strake to expose the bolt head.

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:31 pm

I hope it’s OK to revive this string to ask a question about rubbing strakes.

Rondo (sail 123) is a 2014 HM built boat. One of the first things I did in my first day sailing her was to grind the port side rubbing strake against a protruding angle of a dock in the Norfolk Broads. A fairly cheap lesson on the differences between my only other sailing experience (a Mirror dinghy) and a Cape Cutter as I only bruised/gouged the strake over a 4” length and pushed the after half of the strake down by about 0.5mm, slightly breaking the Sikaflex seal on the underside.

No leaks from the seal (perhaps I don’t sail hard enough to get the gunwhales in the water sufficiently often) but four seasons later I really ought to fix the gouge.

I will scarf in a new piece of wood with West System. I have some teak (from an old garden table) and some mahogany. Does anybody know what wood Honnor Marine used for the strakes in 2014 please ?

I hope to do this without removing the strake. I will then rub down and finish, with woodskin on the recommendations I see in this string

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby erbster » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:26 pm

Hi Malcolm
I think the strakes are teak. The sikaflex bead parts company after a season or two anyway. If the strake leaks, the water will most likely come in through the bolts. The sikaflex is easy enough to renew - cut most of the old bead out with a sharp knife, reapply the sikaflex and then clean up immediately with a rag soaked in white spirit. Helps if the strakes are varnished (sikaflex doesn’t stick so well to outer surface and so easier to clean up)

https://travellingaurora.wordpress.com/ ... or-marine/

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Thankyou Charles. That’s really helpful - and I am glad I don’t need to slacken all those domed nuts to loosen the strake just to move it half a mil.

I will go and cut a good billet if clean wood from the centre of the teak plank from my old table.

Thanks for the tip about varnishing before sikaflexing. Do you think the same applies to Woodskin?

Best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby erbster » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:36 pm

Glad I could help. I don’t know anything about woodskin but it would be hard to apply that after sikaflex, I imagine.

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Previous

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails