Center plate

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Re: Center plate

Postby John Hibbard » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:39 pm

Hi All,

I’m the new owner of a CC19. It’s an SA boat and doesn’t appear to have the inspection hatch on the side of the centre board casing. Any clues how I replace the CB wire as the wire is looking a little frayed.

Many thanks and apologies if this has been covered before.

John
John Hibbard
Non Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi John, welcome!

No inspection hatch?! Not seen that before.

In theory, the cable could be changed by lifting the boat, removing the bolt and lowering centre plate out. (I think Chris, owner of Kaliope did this, bit that was in order to access the centre plate cavity). Alternatively, you could carefully cut a hole and fit a hatch cover (taking location measurements from another boat). Great excuse to come to our rally on the Solent at Whitsun (to compare with other boats).

Maybe a SA boat owner will offer a comment on this.

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby John Hibbard » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 pm

Thanks Charles,

I thought it was odd not to have a hatch but is not there on either side. Sounds like lifting the boat could be the (only) way forward.

John
John Hibbard
Non Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:14 pm

The problem is that the plate is very heavy. You will need to get the boat lifted. Where are you based?

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Hi John,
I've had a broken wire on my SA boat about eight years ago. I made a hole in the casing and replaced the steel wire with 4mm dyneema. I made the access hole with an oscillating tool and closed the hole with a sheet of aluminum glued with sikaflex or something like that. This cannot be done while the boat is in the water because you have to support the center plate. Unfortunately I didn't make any pictures. I used an Ashley Stopper Knot to fix the dyneema to the center plate. And it is still working.
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:36 am

Hi John,
A practical solution by Zimp I think. Last winter Kaliope was in a boat yard for hull renovation, repairs and copper coat antifouling. Whilst on a hoist the centre plate was removed and replaced with a dynema cable. The operation of the centre plate was smoother than when the boat was new. I can't give practical DIY advice on this but if you get half the pleasure we do after 14 years ownership you'll be very happy. Good luck and
Καλά ταξίδια, Chris. Ps take a look at the 'problems below the waterline' thread and you can see the story of Kaliope's hull renovation including centre plate. Some useful photos on a link.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby John Hibbard » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:46 am

Thanks for all the replies.

Lifting the boat and lowering the plate seems like a decent option as it needs antifouling this month before launch so could get the 2 jobs done at the same time. The boat is currently parked in a boat yard in Devon.

Any particular spec of Dynema that I should be looking for?
John Hibbard
Non Association Member

Postby oak » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:24 pm

Hello John
just when I thought there were enough problems around you come up with another potential.
I have aSA boat , There is no inspection hatch and I must say I haven't looked at the wire this year ,probably not last year either.
Better have alook to morrow.
Where does one have to get to to attach the new cable/
Never really thought baout it before,only had the boat10 years+
oak
Merlin
oak
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 am

In my HM boat, the cable can be replaced with the plate up. It’s like a bike brake cable - a lug on the end of the wire hooks into a recess in the plate. My boat is in storage, or I’d send some pics. Not sure how one would replace the cable without the access hatch. Obviously it would not be hard to cut a hole in the CB casing and fit a hatch cover. The important part would be to get the correct location for the hole.

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby John Hibbard » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:04 am

Yes, sorry Oak. I thought I was all set for the season and then I noticed some fraying on the cable, then I noticed no inspection hatch and then I started worrying about how likely the cable is to snap. I'd normally just wing it but sods law says this will fail - I have a mooring up the top of a creek with limited recovery options and I'd rather spend the season sailing and not up on the hard..... so I started looking into my options.

My precision DIY skills are really more "bodge it and scarper" and cutting a hole in my boat ranks right at the top of things I will most likely balls up. I'd probably cut the whole and find it was 2cm too far forward or some such screw up. Therefore I have asked the boat yard to hoist the boat and drop the centre plate out and fit 4mm Dyneema line using an Ashley Stopper knot as suggested by Zimp (thank you). I don't think they have done it yet but right now it doesn't seem like it will be getting wet for a few weeks!

I will let you know how I go.
John Hibbard
Non Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails