Center plate

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Center plate

Postby Andy Yates » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:57 pm

We've Been out today and had a couple of problems.
First the center plate uphaul overrode and jammed. Quickly sorted but I seem to be missing a sheave to keep the rope central to the drum. I've jury rigged a shackle which will do for now.
The second problem is that the uphaul seems short and the plate doesn't bottom out. I assumed that it would come to a stop against the front of the slot. I've got 4 rounds on the drum and I'm thinking I might take one off to give more slack. Am I thinking down the right lines ?
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Re: Center plate

Postby erbster » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:08 pm

Is the boat new to you? I've known another boat to not have the line coil properly on the drum but not to have the problem you describe without more information, I'm not sure what the best approach would be. The plate's very heavy, so im assuming you'd have the boat on its trailer when contemplating this operation.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Andy Yates » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:31 pm

erbster wrote:Is the boat new to you? I've known another boat to not have the line coil properly on the drum but not to have the problem you describe without more information, I'm not sure what the best approach would be. The plate's very heavy, so im assuming you'd have the boat on its trailer when contemplating this operation.

Yes the boats new to me ( CC60) The problem was because the line passes through the bulkhead off line to the drum. There is a small cleat mounted under the step which I assumed was there for something. I rigged up a shackle to pull the line central and made it off on the cleat, this sorted the uneven coiling and overriding. . I have also took one of the coils off the drum, I did this with it raised by utilising one of the holes in the drum and a long steel rod to stop it turning and to take the weight. The drum now has 3 coils on it when the plate it up and it now bottoms out and the line goes slack when its fully down.

Is there supposed to be a small block to pull the line central to the drum or is my drum mounted off centre ? I might ring Bob this week and have a chat.
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Center Plate Steel Line snap

Postby Ed Hobbs » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Wonder is anyone has had this arise. The boat is in the water but Ive found that the steel line that runs from the center plate and connects to the line on the drums, has snapped. Ive no visibility on the center plate which is fully down in the water having examined it as best I could by removing the platform over it.

I’m hoping that when I trailer it, the center plate will pop back in and thus give me access to the area where the snap has occurred but I’ve no line of sight or idea what the connection on the center plate looks like when it is fully raised.

Any ideas?

Ed
Ed Hobbs
Non Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Hello, Ed.
Welcome to the Association.
Getting the boat back onto the trailer is probably the safest way of raising the plate, though it might take a little more effort on the winch! Make sure you get the boat on the rollers square first time because if the plate drops as it gets over the first roller a second chance is more of a problem :rolleyes:
Inside the cabin you should find a circular inspection hatch on the starboard side of the centreboard casing. It is above the waterline so can be removed when afloat, though with the board down theres nothing to see. Once the board is raised you'll be able to see where the cable attaches. A nipple crimped on the cable end fits into a slot machined in the board - similar to a bicycle brake cable does. While you're sorting that it's also worth checking the sheave over which the cable runs located under the triangular step. This wears quite badly and if seized the cable cuts a groove in it and can jam altogether. I turned a new pulley for mine when I fitted a new cable as a precautionary measure when I first got the boat. I know that some folk (braver than I) have replaced the wire cable with dyneema.
Any decent chandler who makes up wire rigging should be able to make you a replacement.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ed Hobbs » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks Steve, so it sounds like when its back into position I’ll be able to fix the problem, thanks for the tip on the trailer.
Ed Hobbs
Non Association Member

Postby Malcbuchanan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:15 pm

Having recently acquired Vedette - 108 I am working through checking things and researching them as I go on the forum (fantastic resource this is - thanks to all) My centreplate has Dyneema as the uphaul - and I am thinking to replace it with wire - but I found that even threading Dyneema with a mousing line etc was very difficult ( within the centreplate - the casing would be easy) - so can't contemplate how to thread precrimped wire up through the centreplate. The wire I have looks like the original but seems too large a diameter - does anyone know the wire size recommended (and length) needed.. 2nd question do you feed it upwards, or feed it downwards and add the crimp once you are through ? lastly where the wire meets the drum - there is a hole in the drum (with sharp edges) that the wire would appear to go into - is there some kind of sleeve or grommet to protect the wire - or is there some other form of 'non rotating fixing' that would not risk stressing the wire

Any help appreciated - as I suspect there are 'tricks of the trade' that make these kind of tasks much simpler - you just need to know how !!

Kind Regards
Malcolm
Malcbuchanan
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 am

Hello, Malcolm.
Threading the wire through shouldn't present much of a problem. Have you removed the triangulat step inside the cabin? Below that you'll find a small sheave over which the wire runs then drops down through a hole into the case. Check the sheave is free to spin and not worn. When I got Falcon that sheave was jammed and the wire was on its way to sawing through it - there should be a post on here with photographs.
The crimp on the c/plate end of the wire should drop into its slot in the plate like a bicyle brake cable does. Its slot is accessible through the circular hatch in the starboard side of the case. It is above the waterline ;)
As to diameter and length, I would suggest a replacement from Nick ay Cape Cutter, Driffield. From memory I think the wire was 4mm but it's worth double checking. I don't recall any problems with the drum fitting as there were always 3 or 4 turns left when the plate was fully down. Unfortunately I can't check for you as Falcon now lives in South Australia :rolleyes:
Perhaps someone else will be along shortly with more help.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:29 am

Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcbuchanan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Steve - many thanks - it was the threading that was difficult - in the end I used an angle grinder to 'cone-shape' the end of the wire, so it would not get caught as it was being pushed in - and that worked !! Yes my sheave was also worn because it was protruding below its case and hence was pushed onto the cplate case - hence effectively locked - I will relieve the case or fit a spacer to keep the sheave clear. To lock the cable at the drum end I have settled for threading the cable through the drum hole and fitting a cable clamp at the outside end of the drum spindle .. Many thanks for the support it makes all the difference
regards Malcolm
Malcbuchanan
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails