Genoa furler mod

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Genoa furler mod

Postby Chris Wicks » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:04 pm

I can't find an old thread dealing with jamming genoa / yankee furlers.

A problem can occur with the standard furler where the furling line wraps itself outside the stainless steel rope guide. There is a 3mm gap above this guide that can open a bit with use. I put on a bigger line a few years ago and fixed a small piece of plastic to the guide to close the gap. With the genoa needing a lot of turns on the furler especially if it is windy mine ended up in a big jam recently with the genoa half out I could not retract it or open it out fully....

Anyway my mod to solve this problem is a small piece of scrap 22mm plastic water pipe. Cut to the exact length and softened in some boiling water it is fitted over the stainless steel rope guide. Cut to a length where there is no visible gap, it works perfectly. Cost of repair nil... :)
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Dennis » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:29 pm

My solution is to use 6mm dia line.

I know I am tempting providence by saying this, but, I have not had a single problem.

Another advantage is the larger line is easier on the hands. :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Chris Wicks wrote:I can't find an old thread dealing with jamming genoa / yankee furlers.

:)

Page 4 of "Hull, Rigging and Sails" One thread started by Peter Vaughan and one by Seasickwhale.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Re: Genoa furler mod

Postby erbster » Mon May 11, 2015 7:53 pm

Chris Wicks wrote:I can't find an old thread dealing with jamming genoa / yankee furlers.

A problem can occur with the standard furler where the furling line wraps itself outside the stainless steel rope guide. There is a 3mm gap above this guide that can open a bit with use. I put on a bigger line a few years ago and fixed a small piece of plastic to the guide to close the gap. With the genoa needing a lot of turns on the furler especially if it is windy mine ended up in a big jam recently with the genoa half out I could not retract it or open it out fully....

Anyway my mod to solve this problem is a small piece of scrap 22mm plastic water pipe. Cut to the exact length and softened in some boiling water it is fitted over the stainless steel rope guide. Cut to a length where there is no visible gap, it works perfectly. Cost of repair nil... :)

Hey, Chris- any chance of a photo please?
I'm plagued with yankee/genoa jams :(
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Donald » Wed May 13, 2015 11:41 pm

Somewhere in the gallery I have seen a photo of a mod made with stainless steel sheet, where the effect was to extend the guide at a right angle back in toward the centre of the drum. So if you imagine a fat T upside down, bend the stem in 90 degrees, and wrap the arms of the T back around the guide. A picture is worth....

Donald
Donald
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu May 14, 2015 10:07 am

You quite correct Donald.

Check Stephan's mods for "Her Nillson".

http://www.capecutter19association.org/ ... fullsize=1
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby seasickwhale » Mon May 18, 2015 11:04 pm

Hi all,

just back from another nice "Semaine du golfe" - again wih good sailing and lots of fun (bar the gale F7 last Thursday).

I am happy to see that an ancient post is dug up and is useful to someone - i commend you on your photographic memory. I have taken so much advice from this forum that it is gratifying to give something back.

Just too complete the info, have a look at

http://capecutter19association.org/gall ... fullsize=1

which shows nicely how the simple piece of stainless is bent.

Worked wonders for me. Nothing worse than a blow and lying with your belly on the bowsprit trying to unravel things (of course always when you can least afford problems).
Happy Sailing

Stephan Radke
CC52 "Herr Nilsson"
seasickwhale
CC19 Association Member

Postby Donald » Tue May 19, 2015 7:37 am

I went for the 50mm of plastic pipe as Chris recommended. All of five minutes to repair, and most of that was boiling the kettle! Thanks for the idea, Chris. Will post a picture of that and some button-on parrel beads I used successfully last season.
Donald
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:30 pm

erbster wrote:

Hey, Chris- any chance of a photo please?
I'm plagued with yankee/genoa jams :(

My apologies for not seeing this request to post a picture of the furler mod... I can't work out how to reduce the file size for posting here. So I attach a link to a Facebook album showing the furler modification, (in addition to a rudder modification)... Sorry to go around the houses here, hope the link works.... :confused: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 51bbf3d5ef

[urlhttps://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151603808954113.1073741828.559084112&type=1&l=51bbf3d5ef][/url]
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Dennis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:24 pm

Chris Wicks wrote: I can't work out how to reduce the file size for posting here.

Hello Chris

How big is the file you are trying to post?
What type of file is it?
Are you trying to attach the file to a post?
If it is a photo, have you tried posting it to the Gallery?

So many questions :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails