Mast lacing

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Mast lacing

Postby popeye » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi,

at the HM web page as well as in the CCC19 handbook the mast lacing is described as follows:

"Correct lacing
Lace in 2 sections: boom to 1st reefing eye and 1st reefing eye to 2nd reefing eye. You needn't worry to lace the last little portion but can if you want to."

Are you using these 2 sction lacing? Is it necessary to use 2 sections or is it also possible to use only 1 section from the throat to the tack of the main sail?
Always fair winds and following seas

CC106 "Katrina"
popeye
CC19 Association Member

Postby Black Sheep » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi,

I always used 1 section, both on my Shrimper and on my CC19. The only problem might be that upon reefing one of your lacings will hook behind the mast bolt and obstruct the unreefing procedure, but in practice this does not occur that often. To be honest I do not see the benefit of the 2 sections.

Kind regards,
Michel
(Black Sheep)
Black Sheep
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:28 pm

Hello gentlemen

You will find some relevent comments in the "Mainsail Lashing" thread.

I sailed last season with one continuous lacing from the boom up to the second reefing cringle. I did not use the lacing eye between the second reefing point and the throat.

I found that if the sail luff is tensioned with the winch, the lacing is optional, the boat sails well without it, I know, I have tried. All the lacing seems to do, is stop the sail falling over the side of the boat when it is lowered.

I have solved this particular problem(?) by using a separate set of parrel beads at each of the five lacing points. I will report on this solution after I have had more experience.

Kind regards

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby GRIMSHAW » Mon May 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Dear All
I have fitted the parrel bead arrangements as set out in this forum. Yesterday on our first sail we put in a reef and were pleased to find that we didn't need the additional lashing to contain the sail at the mast as the parrels did the job. However if a second reef had been requred it might have been necessary to remove the lashings between first and second reef cringles as their bulk would probably prevent the luff being pulled down sufficiently to hook the sail onto the horns. I don't know because I didn't try it but on reflection I think that it may be the case. As an aside I have fitted rings on loops through the reefing cringles (retained by stoppers on the other sides ) to make the task of fastening the sail to the horns easier.

Regards, Graham
ps. I have just discovered that this is in the wrong thread. Apols to the moderator
GRIMSHAW
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails